Beach spot for a week w/baby ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we have spent 2 days scouring and enjoying your posts. My novia and I are meeting my brother and his wife and infant in some beachy spot in Spain for 7 days (June 26 to July 3). The question is where, and we would love some advice. Here are our considerations:

1. They come from Berlin; we come from Madrid. After the week, my gal and I have Sat to Weds to explore Portugal before meeting them in Berlin.
2. We prefer warm-but-not-scorching weather.
3. We like natural settings with good air and water more than developed or nightlife.
4. We will probably spend as much time on the floor of the flat with the baby as we will sightseeing formally. Therefore we would love some place walking distance to the water, walking distance to stores, restaurants, and charming local culture.
5. We would prefer a 2-bedroom place somewhere with kitchen (so we can feel guilty for eating out) and a living room rug to roll around on with la bebita.
6. None of us has been to españa before, and we look forward to the little things we will encounter in our daily meanderings as much as the grand sights.
7. They want to stay in one spot for the entire week.
8. A homey feeling would be better than something chic or being in an ant colony.
9. We are not luxury travelers, but it doesn not have to be dirt cheap or threadbare (maybe 600-900 euros would be a reasonable range)

We have considered:
1. Nerja. Sounds interesting. We read here that we should stick to the eastern part? Is that right? Recommend any specific places to stay? Agencies?
2. Rota (near Cádiz). A colleague has a flat in a highrise in Rota. The dates are not great, but the area sounds interesting except we heard it is known for being very windy most of the time. We are wind-wimps. Comments? If you think it would match our needs, any specific places to recommend (to stay, agencies)?
3. A good friend suggested la Costa Verde (cooler but still warm, less crowded). Is that true? Know any places there?
4. We heard Salema in Portugal would be just right for us, but they prefer the idea of Spain to Portugal.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:43 AM

<<We like natural settings with good air and water ...>>
Have you considered the Costa Brava? The rough coastline in Catalunya - between the French border and Tossa de Mar - is beautiful. It has some very picturesque towns and all have small bays with nice secluded beaches (some sandy, some gravel-y) and is absolutely kid-friendly.
Temperatures are more moderate than in the south.
There are a lot of camping grounds in this area, so if you don't like that kind of public, this might not be the place for you.

And, yes, Rota can be very windy!
Old May 20th, 2004, 03:46 AM

I have not been there myself, but English relatives with small children have stayed in an apartment in Sitges, the beach area near Barcelona. The apt they stayed in also had a swimming pool. While this may not fit your item #2, the apartments there are relatively new & well maintained so spending time at the apt would be ok & I'd imagine Barcelona is a reasonably easy place to fly in & out.
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:33 AM

For some pleasant beaches, and within your price range try the Channel Islands - more French that British, Jersey has some nice apartments and sandy beaches, hire a car, it's perfect for young children. Guernsey is smaller, but in my opinion, more picturesque.

What I hate about beaches in the summer are all the oiled up bodies littering the place, not my scene at all. I much prefer to sit around an hotel pool, or better still, walk along beaches in the winter. I think peac will be nice for family and friends, something laidback - hence my recommendation.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! We booked a room in Nerja using the following website: http://www.bluewatervillas.com