Bayswater to Dulwich

Search

Bayswater to Dulwich

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bayswater to Dulwich

If I read the route map correctly, London Bus 12 goes from Bayswater all the way to Dulwich.

First, is this a valid interpretation of the map? Secondly, assuming #1 is correct, does anybody have an estimate on how much time the trip takes at 8 am?

I know I could get their faster by train, but riding the bus gives me a chance to see the sights along the streets. If the trip is going to take longer than an 60 - 75 minutes then I will reconsider.

I might go one way by bus and return by train.

Other than my main objective, the Dulwich Portrait Gallery, what else would be a good place to visit while I am in that section of London?

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

OOPS. I should have used "there". Typing and thinking badly again.
I can tell the brain cells are starting to short circuit.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:08 AM
oldie

Have a look at the journey planner at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/
It gives you estimated times.
You can opt for whichever mode of transport you require.

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:36 AM

Bob this doesn't answer your bus question, but my husband who used to live near Bayswater thinks the easiest route is to take the tube (Circle Line) to Blackfriars and from there the train to the West Dulwich station which is a short walk to the Picture Gallery. At this time of year, nothing much else to see but there's evidently a park with a boating lake and a pavillion with an aviary.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:32 AM

I've just had a look at the bus map and the #12 doesn't go to West Dulwich which is where the gallery is. It also seems to take you considerably out of your way. Here's the Dulwich area bus map

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/pdf/dulwich.pdf

There appear to be a number of other options with changes involved. One of the easiest appears to be if you get yourself to Victoria Station there are both bus and train options. Here's the train map

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/info/maps/connections.pdf

The Southeastern trains (mustard yellow) goes from Victoria to West Dulwich with no changes.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks. With your help, I think I can really have a good go at it this year. Those websites are ones I had not yet found. My collection of London web sites is growing, and these will be ultra useful.

I will visit them forthwith and bookmark them all. So again, all beneficial suggestions provide ultra helpful information that will undoubtedly enhance my journey.

Dulwich for me is a place I never seem to have had time to visit when I am in London even though it has been on my priority list for years! This time, it comes first! I figure the only way to do it is to move it up to priority #1 on the list of places to see and go do it.

Last year, my mobility was an issue and I saw much less than anticipated. This year, mobility and stamina may still be a problem, but if Dulwich Picture Gallery comes first on the list and on my first day, the unfinished business at the British Museum will be second on the list, the Sherlock Holmes Museum third (purely personal interest), and Westminster Abbey fourth. With a total of 4 days to see it all, I will get there.

We did some other highlights last year as time permitted, so it is not like I never have been to St Pauls or the Tower or Greenwich or Hampton Court or Windsor or Kew. Westminster Abbey will be a return visit, but most of you were not born the first time I went there!!

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 11:18 AM

If you go to this website, you will find a goodly amount of information about Dulwich and it will take you to the Picture Gallery site which will in turn give you directions on how to get there.

http://www.dulwich.co.uk/

We went in May of 2002 and the train fare for 2 from Victoria to West Dulwich was $6.20 The pound was $1.47.

The center of town is compact and attractive but I don't remember anything of import. We had lunch at a pub on the right hand side in the center of town but there were a number of other choices.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:44 PM

I took bus #12 to visit Dulwich about 2 years ago, from Charing Cross, it took about 30 minutes.

You are quite right: It is much more fun to take bus, as the route going through several interesting London areas, including some lively street markets. #12 ends at Dulwich Library, it is about 10 minutes walk through the park to the gallery.

Wren's Dulwich Picture Gallery is beautiful, the collection of old masters' is impressive. If you are interested in architecture, nearby Dulwich College is worth a visit.

From the front of Gallery, bus#P4 (about 10 minutes) goes to Horniman Museums in Forest Hill. It has good music instruments collection, and projects for school children. The extensive museum gardens are nice and well-desighed.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Please check your facts, JudyC, Dulwich Picture Gallery has nothing to do with Wren. It was designed by Sir John Soane and the recent addition by Rich Mather.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Thank you for the correction; for some reason, I had the impression it was designed by Wren.