Bayeux Hotel Help!

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bayeux Hotel Help!

Hi all:

I've inquired at the Logis des Ramparts and the Hotel d'Argouges for availability. The Logis des Ramparts is booked and I did get a response back from the Hotel d'Argouges. The price per night is 122Euro! Yikes. That's steep, especially since I'll be staying there for 5 nights.

Are there any other recommendations that may be a bit cheaper? I'm using Bayeux as a base for visits to the D-Day beaches, the Memorial museum in Caen, and other spots near there.

Thanks!
TR
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 08:00 AM

If you want cheap, clean and plain, call the Hotel Bayeux. It was about 45€/night a couple of years ago. It is 5 minutes from the Tapestry and 5 minutes from the Cathedral and the best restaurant in town. The rooms are quite large, as are the bathrooms. It is basically all on one floor with the attractive breakfast room upstairs.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 08:29 AM

I stayed last summer at the 3* Best Western Hotel de Brunville. Nothing special but it was perfectly adequate, had it's own parking, and was just steps from the town centre. I paid around 60 euros a night, and did not have breakfast in the hotel.

I booked it through

www.activehotels.com

who also offer another 4* BW hotel adjacent to the de Brunville.

Good luck and have a good trip.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses! I'll inquire at both to see if either have availability. Perhaps I may stay at the Hotel D'Argouges for a couple of nights instead of all 5. Not sure, though.

TR
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 12:15 PM

We loved Hotel Lion D'Or in Bayeux.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 08:13 PM

If you are traveling during high season (pretty much now till fall) then that is really not a bad price. Our family stayed there and thought it was quite nice.You could use the 5 days and spend them divided as you work yourself west to the last battlefields(1 night in Caen, 2 in Bayeaux,etc.)-OR could I suggest taking a night at Mont St. Michel for something really special to cap off your visit to Normandy?It is fabulous at night after the tour buses have left(4pm) and to walk the ramparts and listen to the sounds of the salt marsh and feel the sights and sounds abbey is truly wonderful!!
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 09:09 PM
lyb

Another vote for Hotel Le Bayeux, I stayed there in October, it was nice, very clean and great location. If you want to see pictures, here is their website, http://www.lebayeux.net I wrote a review of it on TripAdvisor, where I put pictures of the hotel and the room I had, http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._Normandy.html

I also have pictures of it on my photo website, http://lynnsview.com/Gallery/ just clik on the Bayeux link.

It was very affordable and the breakfast was plenty.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi all!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Gretchn & lyb: I've put in an inquiry to the Hotel Le Bayeux to see if they have availability.

julia_t: Thanks for the recommendation. I tried the hotels that you suggested, but they didn't have availability for the dates that I needed.

dutyfree: Thanks for the recommendations. I think I was just in sticker shock. My trip is 14 days and I'm trying to be a bit economical (as one can be when traveling!)where i can. I'm actually going to be coming from Mont St. Michel to Bayeux. I need to make arrangements for the Auberge Saint Pierre. I'll be able to see the Mont at night as well as be there at 9:00 a.m. when it opens. The reason for my base in Bayeux is to see the D-Day beaches, head to Caen to the museum and do other things in the area.

Again, thanks to all for the recommendations! This board rocks!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Just as a follow up: I did get a room for the 5 nights at Hotel Le Bayeux. Yay! :0
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:57 AM
lyb

Great, I think you'll like it, it's very clean and well located. Also,the price can't be beat. I also liked that that they off street parking.

Are you traveling alone?
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi Lyb:

Yes, I will be traveling solo.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Be sure to have a dinner at Le Petite Bistro, just across from the Cathedral. Make a reservation. It was probably the best meal we had on that particular trip to France. They are closed on Sundays, but there is another good restaurant just up the street that is open, if needed.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Another vote for Le Petit Bistro; it's tiny so make a reservation (even the day of), especially in high season. We were there early last May, and our hotel made reservations for us. Have fun!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 01:32 PM
lyb

I wish I had known about how good Le Petit Bistro is, it is so close to Hotel Le Bayeux, just one block over. In fact, I have a picture of the outside on my online photo album.

Of course, I was only there one night and I had an upset stomach from the previous day's french onion soup, so I probably couldn't have eaten there anyway.

TravelRibbon, if you look at the picture on my website, it will be easy for you to recognize it when you are there...I envy you, lucky girl!