Bayeux Hotel Choice

Old Aug 5th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bayeux Hotel Choice

My group (all adults) is spending 2 nights in Bayeux in early October. I booked our party at Le Lion D'Or. DH booked us at Hotel Le Bayeux. Room price is very similar, neither includes free breakfast. Is either hotel considerably nicer than the other? If we choose not to eat the hotel breakfast or use their dining room both nights, are there good restaurants within walking distance of both hotels? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 06:26 PM

Both these hotels get good ratings on sites such as TripAdvisor. Lion D'Or is a little more centrally located than Le Bayeux, but both are within walking distance of the town center, the Bayeux Tapestry, and the cathedral. The Lion D'Or's restaurant gets good reviews, and there is also a good restaurant at the Queen Mathilda hotel. Bayeux is a great town for hotels and restaurants!
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I did see the TA reviews, but I've found Fodorites opinions to be more accurate, so I usually check here too.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 06:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I highly recommend Lion d'Or. The room was very nice and the breakfasts(included when we stayed) and dinners were excellent. Parking in the front courtyard was easy and we walked all over town from it's central location. It has been owned by the same family for generations and the owner is happy to share the family's stories from WWII. I know nothing about the other hotel.
We chose Lion d'Or as friends had recommended it after their large extended family held a family reunion there.
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

THanks for the information. I think I'll stay with my choice of Lion d'Or.
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 05:22 PM

We stayed in the brand new Hotel Villa Lara in March. It was recently built and is adjacent to the Hotel Churchill. Same owners. We had wondeful service and very nice accomodations. Very close to restaurants, the tapestry and the spot where tours leave from for MSM and the D-Day Beaches. Parking was ample and the breakfast was very good. We would stay there again.
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 05:26 PM

I'd stick with the Lion d'Or, since you've already got reservations there, but we loved the Château de la Bellefontaine, a 5-minute walk to town but in a gorgeous rural setting (no resto, though).
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We liked staying at the Lion d'Or. Do you have a car? There is parking inside the courtyard.

Had a very nice lunch in their restaurant.
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 10:14 PM

We, too, stayed at the Lion d'Or and really liked it. Their food is very good.

We had dinner one night at Le Petit Bistrot, a very small restaurant near the cathedral, and thought the food excellent.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Will stay at Lion d'Or. I am also leaning toward dinner at Le Petit Bistro as I have seen quite a few reviews raving about the food.