Search

Baveno and Pisa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 1998, 01:34 PM
Marie

Baveno and Pisa

We will be on a guided tour (Grand European Tours) in May 1999 and will have some free days. The first 3 nights we will be in Baveno, Italy. Anybody know anything to see there? We also will have a stop later in the trip to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa. We did that on our last trip and wondered if there was something else in Pisa we could go see this time. Any suggestions? ...Marie

Old Jan 1st, 1999, 01:26 AM
Myriam

Hi Marie, <BR> <BR>We have been to Baveno some years ago, it is a small "town" on the Lago Maggiore. The scenery is great: the lake before you, the mountains behind. You can take an on-and-off boat trip to the small islands in the lake: Isola Pescatori, Isola Bella, ... ; you could visit Stresa, or Verbania/Pallanza at the other side of the lake. These are all small towns and you will notice that hotels and houses are old-stylish but beautiful, with magnificent gardens. What I recall most is the wonderful food ! <BR>I have never been to Pisa but as far as I can see it on the map, there must be lots of things to see in the surroundings as you are in the middle of Tuscany. <BR>Have a nice trip and a wonderful 1999 !

Old Jan 3rd, 1999, 06:08 PM
Myriam

Hi Myriam, thank you so much for telling me about Baveno. It sounds beautiful and I'm anxious to see the quite side of Europe. So far, we've only been to the big cities like Paris, Rome, London, Venice. Sounds like Baveno will be completely the opposite. I'm curious why you were there ... were you also on a tour? ...Marie

Old Jan 3rd, 1999, 06:09 PM
Myriam

Excuse me, Myriam. I meant to say the "quiet" side of Europe -- not the "quite" side. Happy New Year to you too! You certainly were up bright and early on New Year's morning. ...Marie

Old Jan 4th, 1999, 03:17 AM
Myriam

Hallo Marie, <BR> <BR>We live in Belgium (NW Europe) and we have done a lot of vacationing in the surrounding countries. We ended up in Baveno in July 1995 for a week of sun and relaxation at the Lago Maggiore after we had done some mountain-walking in Switzerland. The drive from Switzerland to Italy, over the Alps, was breathtaking especially at the highest point of 2005 m where we had a magnificent view on the mountain tops covered with snow. <BR>Baveno is really a very quiet place. Our hotel was situated 500 m from the city centre and had its own (small) private beach. As I told you before, the hotels are old-styling and they all look like pallazzo's. Ours had recently been refurbished and the rooms were spacious and very very clean. <BR>I hope you will have a nice time overthere. <BR>

Old Jan 11th, 1999, 04:20 PM
Myriam

Dear Myriam, thank you once again for taking the time to reply. It sounds absolutely fabulous. We wanted to get the feel of the quiet or country places, unlike the big cities. We are looking forward to this trip immensely. Will men and women be wearing shorts there? I ask because we didn't see any shorts when we went to Rome or Florence a few years ago. I didn't know if that was just because it was the city, or if Europeans don't wear shorts. Or, do you think it will be too cool there in mid-May to even worry about shorts? <BR>...Marie

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 10:40 PM
Myriam

Marie, <BR> <BR>As to your question: yes, Europeans wear shorts, as well men and women, young and old. Do bring them with you when you go to Baveno. <BR>Of course I cannot predict what the weather will be in mid-May, but with a bit of luck you might even need your bathing suit for a swim in the lake. The hotels situated at the borders of the lake usually have their own private "lido" (=beach). <BR> <BR>