Search

Bavarian Alps?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bavarian Alps?

Will be in Munich for 1-2 days, Salzburg for 2 days late May. Opinions regarding what to visit and from which city. Goal: most memorable sites, breath taking visitas or possibly medieval towns . This is a follow up question to prior. Trying maximize experience s without getting exhuasted. Places under consideration: Zugspitze, Konigssee/Bkerchtesgden (I am not particularly impressed to see Hitler's old bunker), Regenburg, Rothernburg, Hallstat in Austria, Grossglockner. I will see same vistas with the Sound of Music Tour. If I have to choose one site while in Munich and another site while in Salzburg what does the forum suggest. Maybe Konigssee better than Hallstat while in Austria. Goal not to lose any extra hours if can do something easier in Munich versus Salzburg.
Plan to take train in Munich to Salzburg. Could rent a car for a day in each location but unlikely to want the expense of a drop off charge. Thank you. Jack
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 04:31 AM

I wouldn't rent a car for use IN Munich...public transport is too good and parking is a pain

Are you interested in any sort of castles or palaces. Schloss Nymphenburg IN Munich might be worth your time; the residenze is a good museum...the Ludwig carriage collection may be of interest

I am sure someone will mention going to Fuessen for Neuschwanstein or to the Linderhof BUT if you have the time and want to visit the LARGEST and most elaborately decorated of all the Ludwig builds then a visit to Herrenchiemsee between Munich and Salzburg would be a "must" but you may not have enough time for it.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

I sm not too interested in palaces. Mostly breath taking views or medieval buildings. I liked the Gothic Barrios in Barcelona and the town of Girona north of Barcelona. Also riding around Huaras in the Andes in Peru was lovely as well as Machu Pichu in Peru. Things like that. Suggetions? Thank you, Jack
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 06:24 AM

From Salzburg I would go tot he ice caves at Werfen and the salt mine at Hallein
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 08:46 AM

While in Salzburg, you really have many beautiful spots close by and to drive to, after you see the city..

Konigsee - terrific views from the lake

Hallstadt - very scenic but too far if you only have 2 days

Eagle's Nest - great vistas but it may not yet be open

Rossfeld Hohenringstrasse - high alpine touring road above Berchtesgaden and the Obersalzburg. You can't beat the views from here but you need a sunny, clear day.

Castle Hohenwerfen- about 30 minutes outside of Salzburg. Medieval castle with falconry shows
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:03 AM

Having been to both Koenigsee and Hallstatt, I would definitely pick Hallstatt. It's a bit over an hour's drive from Salzburg. It is breathtakingly beautiful and a UNESCO World Heritage site.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/105...11574650deRoxj

Hallstatt has a wonderful Heritage museum that is worth visiting to get an idea of how important Hallstatt was to this area. There is also the salt mine which brought prosperity to this tiny town and the very unique "Bone House".

http://www.museum-hallstatt.at/

http://www.hallstatt.net/homepage/

Hallstatt's history dates back 7000 years. It is a very unique and fascinating place.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Jack;

Check the drop off fee to Salzburg. There is no such fee between destinations in Germany with any of the major rental companies. I would be surprised if there was one to Salzburg considering the popularity of the route and their proximity. You may get a cheaper rate for 3 days, too.

If you find that that makes sense, since you don't have a lot of time in either of your primary destinations, you migth want to consider picking some things between them as the best way to approach this.

That would make a trip to Garmisch/Zugsptize followed by Schonau am Koenigsee/Berchtesgaden very doable and vistas, you will have.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I must really look into the rental car issue from Germany to Salzburg.