Bavarian Alps

Aug 8th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Jen

Bavarian Alps

Found 2 B&B's in the Bavarian Alps "Landhaus Sonnhuegel" and "The Sallerhof". Both are priced very reasonably, actually much less than I would have expected. Does anyone have a recommendation on B&B's in the Bavarian Alps? We are thinking of staying there for 3 days. And also, are they generally much less expensive in Europe then in the US? Finally, does anyone have an idea of how far by car the Alps are from Munich? Thanks.
Jen

Aug 8th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Russ

You're roughly 2 hrs. or so from Munich proper. But the Bavarian Alps cover quite a large area, so whatever recommendations you might receive here could be a little further. And yes, they tend to be very reasonably priced. I'm used to paying around $40 double these days for B&B accommodations in Germany, the kind that are provided usually by a retired couple with a larger home and that have maybe 2-4 rooms they rent. Most are very tidy, comfortable and friendly. Staying in such places isn't just inexpensive, but also a way to have a peek at everyday life in a German home. Breakfast is wonderful in these places, as a rule.

Aug 8th, 2002, 05:29 AM
xxx

$40 was about right before the Euro, or 80dm. However, many places have merely swapped dm for euro and if they charged 80dm before, now they charge 80 euros. Unfortunate, but true.

Where in the alps are the 2 b&b's you listed?

Aug 8th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Jen

The two B&B's I listed are from Salzburg and Oberbayern, Upper Bavaria in an area of Garmisch. Mom mom is german and has family over there, but they have been little help to me unfortunately. My mom says that we should try to stay around Garmisch, she believes that I will love it. It's been almost 30 years since she has been there so she really didn't have much advice for me. So to be more precise, any recommendation of a B&B in Garmisch would be extremely helpful.

Aug 8th, 2002, 06:47 AM
John

Jen:

You will love Garmish! Try and stay in the town and use it as a base for Bavaria day trips! I have been doing jsut that for years! A great website is "bavariaben.com". Also, do a "Garmish" search on fodors and see what comes up!
JOHN

Aug 8th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Dawn

We visited Germany two years ago, and just loved it. We stayed 3 days in Garmisch at the Frauendorfer and couldn't have been more pleased. The food was great and they had music and little boys dancing at night. Garmisch is very central to many area of interest.

Aug 8th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Jen

Thanks for your responses. I am very excited about this trip. This will be my first time traveling overseas since I was born. I'm certainly looking forward to all the nature activities that the Bavarian Alps has to offer as well as having the opportunity to use the German that I have been working so hard to learn. Of all places in the world to go to, this was my number one choice. I guess you can say I am very proud of my heritage!

Aug 8th, 2002, 07:26 AM
xxx

My favorite 2 little towns in the Bavarian alps are Mittenwald and Oberstdorf. They're both picture perfect little villages with big mountains all around. I prefer them to Garmisch which is bigger.

Aug 8th, 2002, 08:18 AM
xxx

ttt

Search this Thread