Bathroom availability in rural Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may seem like a strange question, but what is the availability of restrooms, bathrooms, toilets, WCs or loos (whatever you want to call them!) in Ireland? We will be driving from Dublin to Cashel, Dingle, Galway, Sligo, Ballintoy UK, Belfast and back to Dublin...
How easy is it to find a place to stop every couple of hours, when out and about in the rental car? (One of us has a frequency issue, without going into much detail).

It seems as if some of the bigger tourist sites have facilities... and I assume that any site that has a cafe, also has bathrooms. (correct assumption?) Can you just walk into a pub and use the facilities? How about stores? Are the petrol stations reliable for having bathrooms, as they are here in the States?

Thanks!

~
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Great question. And Dublin parks?
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 03:47 AM

Yes, anywhere that has a cafe will have a toilet and you shouldn't have a problem finding a hotel or pub to use the facilities. I wouldn't rely on petrol stations - they're usually pretty disgusting!

What's the question about Dublin parks bronxbomber?
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 04:40 AM

In general, the proprietors of pubs and cafes consider that toilets are provided for the use of customers. If you are taking a coffee break, that's fine. If you are not a customer, they won't like your using the toilets.

It's easier to have a free pee in a hotel, because the layout of the premises makes it more difficult to discern who might be taking liberties.

Bronxbomber, there are plenty of bushes in the parks (we even have a park called Bushypark).
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 05:22 AM

What Padraig says is correct (and he should know, he's a native)!

I found that a quick pint or soda made things OK.

And not every restaurant has facilities, nor are they necessarily easily accessible. I remember going into a Dublin restaurant and climbing three flights of stairs to find the bathroom
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 06:27 AM

I thought it was a legal requirement that anywhere serving food to "eat in" had to provide toilet facilities? In any case, I have yet to find a restaurant that doesn't have a loo. Hard to access loos? Yes! Unclean loos? Yes! Loos with no toilet roll / soap? Yes! But I have always found a loo! I would agree with Padraig - I have only ever once used a pub loo without purchasing anything, but I was heavily pregnant at the time and did ask the bar owner if it was OK (the place was empty in the middle of the afternoon!). Otherwise, hotels are your best bet!