Bath walking tours and other questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a scheduling problem with a visit to Bath. Ideally, I'd like to go on Sunday to save a little money on train tickets, but this presents a few difficulties with opening times.

I'm considering the following, and wondering if it's too ambitious:

1) Visit Pump and Roman Baths (10 am - 11:45 am) ... the earliest I can get in via train is 9:40.
2) Jane Austen Centre (noon - 1 pm) Is this enough time?
3) Abbey (1:15 pm - 1:50 pm)
4) Free Walking tour (2 - 4 pm)
5) Victoria Art Gallery (4:15 - 4:45 pm)
6) Costume Museum (5 pm - close at 6)

Walk around/explore afterwards.

My questions are: Is the walking tour worth it ... informational/exciting, etc., or should I skip it to allow more time.

Also, any idea on how long the tour lasts. One website says 1 hour, 45 minutes; another says 2 hours.

Is there any place that I could re-adjust my times on to give me more time at other places? Am I spending an okay amount of time at each place, or is it simply too rushed? I'm feeling especially worried about Victoria Art Gallery, JA Centre, Costume Museum.

Going on Friday (tomorrow) would solve problems because I could catch a 7 pm walking tour.

Thanks!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Haven't taken the walking tour - so don't know if it is "worth" it - but most usually are.

But I have been to Bath many times and don't think you are scheduling nearly enough time for the Roman Baths/Pump room. Starting at 10 I don't think you can be to the Jane Austin center by noon. Especially on a Sunday - the Baths will be crowded and if you really want to see most of them, the museum, etc you should plan on 2.5 hours or maybe even more.

And no where in your plan do you have even 30 minutes free to eat anything.

I don't think you can do all of those things in one Sunday visit . . . .
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Yeah ... I was thinking a lunch on the go thing. Thanks for the baths/pump info. I have been several years ago and couldn't remember how long to spend, and you are right that Sunday crowds will be busy.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:42 PM

I spent six weeks studying abroad in Bath..never once went to the Jane Austen center, walked past it though....kind of a disappointment from the outside...I would skip that! I would grab lunch at the Sally Lunn Bunn house..YUM!!! =0
-CO
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ... I've heard good things about that restaurant.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 03:10 PM

Hi JoeTro-

We just returned from England with a visit to Bath about two weeks ago. I agree with janis that you should probably plan for at least 2 1/2 hrs at the Roman Baths. There is quite a bit to see there...we spent about 3 hours altogether.

We did not go on the free walking tour as the time was inconvenient for us. The tour was recommended to us by our hotel, but we were able to visit the same sights on our own with information from our guide book (Pulteney Bridge, Royal Crescent, Queen's Circus, etc.).

I think you have plenty of time for the Abbey.

I would skip Sally Lunn's especially if the schedule is tight. There are lots of Cornish pasty and sandwich shops. Grab a bite to eat at one of those.

-kvadragon

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 03:13 PM

I am a Jane Austen enthusiast, so just about anything JA works for me, but I say skip the JA center; there's not much there, unless it has been updated recently. I'm writing from my experience 4 yrs ago. Have tea in the Pump room, really a highlight for me, also enjoyed the Sally Lunn house. I took the free walking tour; it was my first day in Bath and I loved all the references to Jane Austen along the way. We, also took the JA tour out of the center and that was lots of fun, too if you know the books. You can do the costume museum in an hour, but you will be pushing it. You used to be able to get a joint ticket for the baths and costume museum. You save a little money. Instead of the Victoria Art museum, try the Regency House Museum. Wonderful visit. It's located in one of the Cresents. I can't remember now which one. I found the Victoria Art Gallery disappointing. I love Bath. Sorry you don't have more time. Enjoy your time there.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments, though. I'm such an Austen fan that I would really hate to miss the center IMO, and I think I'm going tomorrow (Friday) so I'll have more time.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 05:53 PM

If you're a JA fan, then think of visiting the Regency Museum; it will help you imagine Sir Walter's place when he lived in Bath. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:04 PM

I'd do the walking tour first thing, I think they start around 10am or so, I did one on a Sunday last year. I thought it very much worth it, and I'd been to Bath before, this was a 'refresher' daytrip.
The walking tour doesn't spend much time in any one place, when you've finished you could go back to the Abbey or Baths or Pump Room. The Jane Austen Centre will take under an hour. There's a short film and then walk through the house, and frankly there's not much to see. A few facsimiles of letters, a testimonial or two, a couple of artifacts of her period, but not really hers. The good stuff is in her final house in Hampshire.

Have an early lunch at Sally Lunn's. It gets crowded food is good, it's a very Bath experience. If Rhubarb Crumble is available, have it.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:12 PM

I just realized that I have the same opinion of the J A Center as annetti had.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I had a nice day in Bath and did the walking tour at 2 pm because I had been going much faster on most of the sight seeing than I thought I would. I personally really did enjoy the JA Centre, but you are right, there is not a whole lot there.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 11:20 AM

nice of you to check back
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Glad to hear you enjoyed Bath. I spent a month there one year and look back fondly on my time. It's a wonderful place to visit and revisit.