Bath Travel Advice

Feb 17th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Bath Travel Advice

Do we need to pre-book a train to Bath from Heathrow?

Where to stay in Bath?

Where to eat?

We'll be there two nights.
Feb 17th, 2003, 09:03 PM
ron

There is no direct train from Bath to Heathrow. You either take the train to Reading and rail link bus to Heathrow or the train into London and back out to Heathrow on the Heathrow Express. This is one of the few situations where taking the coach makes more sense than taking the train. The coach from Bath to Heathrow is quick and convenient and doesn't involve any changes.
Feb 18th, 2003, 03:05 AM

I can recommend The Moon and Sixpence which is a little restaurant in a courtyard off one of the main streets. |You'll need to reserve a table though.
Feb 18th, 2003, 03:42 AM

We like the Sydney Gardens Hotel, a 6-rom B&B that's right on the Sydney Gardens, just a few minutes' walk from town. Lovely setting (you get a key to their gate into the park), free parking, big breakfast, ensuite baths, nice touches like a fridge in the hall with milk in case you use the tea setup that's in the room. They have at least one family room with 3 beds.
Feb 18th, 2003, 04:30 AM

My wife and I enjoyed staying at the Queensberry Hotel in Bath. Great place, great location. And they have a superb restaurant as well.

We hired a private car to take us from Heathrow to Bath. Since we were arriving after a long flight, I didn't want the hassle of dealing with the train.

We did take the train from Bath into London for the balance of our trip.
Feb 18th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Dear Ron,

What is a "coach"?

Please respond!

Thanks, Kathryn
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:20 AM
ron

Kathryn, Intercity bus, equivalent to Greyhound. The UK company is National Express; its website is www.gobycoach.com
Feb 18th, 2003, 09:13 AM

I second the Queensberry Hotel. Lovely rooms and great staff.
Feb 21st, 2003, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Queensberry has a room but it sounds TEENSY! We have two adults and one 10 year old- to the two Queensberry recommendations, any thoughts?
Feb 21st, 2003, 08:09 AM

We stayed at the Dorian House b&b and loved it (4 of us in a room including 8 and 12 year olds). Room would be fine for the three of you. Do a search on Dorian House and you'll see more detailed comments from me on this B&B. Also they have a website so do a search to find it.

We ate at a pub near the Dorian House for 2 nights which was fine for pub food. Plus they had a kids menu. Other night we ate in town at just a random restaurant. I can't remember the name but I believe it was somewhat middle eastern with kebabs on the menu. It was good.

Bath is a lovely city - have fun.
Feb 21st, 2003, 08:26 AM
mm

My wife and I enjoyed a nice roast chicken dinner at a pub called The Saracen's Head.

It's located on a main street between the abbey and the Clothing Museum.

Feb 21st, 2003, 08:27 AM
jor

I would like to help you since I have stayed in Bath. But like so many posts, you have not given any idea of what kind of accomodations you like. I stayed at a privately run hostel which accepted families and private rooms for very little cost. But you, like many others do not want hostels. They also have 4 star hotels. Please be more specific.
Feb 21st, 2003, 08:47 AM

We stayed in a HUGE room at the Queensberry. You could have had a dinner party in the bathroom alone. But all the rooms aren't the same size, unfortunately. I saw a few of the other rooms and they seemed to be decent size, but I didn't see all the rooms.
Feb 21st, 2003, 09:13 AM

The coach would be a good bet. It shouldn't take more than 2.5 hours. It'll be cheaper than a train, and much more direct. If you are returning to London, tell them this when you buy as a return ticket is cheaper to buy than two x one-way (single is what we say.)
Feb 21st, 2003, 09:44 AM

There is also a nice B&B at the edge of town called The Old Schoolhouse.
Feb 21st, 2003, 09:46 AM

I absolutely LOVED the Villa Magdala. would stay there again in a heartbeat. It is just over the Putney bridge , across from Henrietta park.

A friend of mine also swears by "The Wife Of Bath" as her favorite restaurant there.

Be sure to take advantage of the Free Walking tours given by the historical society - twice daily I think. They start out in front of the Pump Room.
Feb 21st, 2003, 09:46 AM

Last time I was in the area, the train to Bath was leaving from Paddington, which is where the Heathrow Express stops (15 minutes from Heathrow to Paddington at 12GBP). So just hop on a Heathrow Express
at Heathrow terminal 1,2,3, or terminal 4 and get off the train at Paddington and walk to another platform to catch a train to Bath (they leave every 1 1/2 hours or so).
In Bath I stayed at the Marlborough house, which has reasonably priced lovely rooms, big breakfasts, is close to everything (walking distance) and has very friendly American hosts from San Francisco. The best meal we've ever had in Britain on any trip was in Bath a the Walrus and the Carpenter, which that year was a frommer's guide pick.
Enjoy
Feb 21st, 2003, 12:30 PM

Have lunch at Sally Lunn's and try one of the delicious buns. It's in the oldest house in Bath, and excavation of the basement has remains of the Roman foundation.
Feb 22nd, 2003, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We've reserved a room at Duke's Hotel in Bath.... anyone know that one?

I've seen Marlborough on the web and will research that as well. I think you are correct about Queensberry, it's just that the room available seems small. I'm sure some would be spacious, we just can't get one of those at this point.

Train vs. coach after a 8 1/2 hour plane trip. What to do?