Bath/Stonehenge

Feb 18th, 2001, 07:22 PM
Sue

Bath/Stonehenge

In March, my husband, children and I are visiting London for one week. I've been to many of nearby towns, such as Oxford, Cambridge, and Stratford. I have never visited Bath. Is it worth the trip? Can Bath and Stonehenge be a day trip from London? Any recommendations with children (5 and 10 years old)? Thanks.

Feb 18th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Bob Brown

The answer to your questionis YES.
It might be a long day, but it quite nice in fact. The last time I was in London my son (then 16) went on a bus trip to Stonehenge and Bath with a smaller group from our tour. Mom and Dad did something else. He still talks about it.

Feb 19th, 2001, 01:02 AM
Steve James

Hello Sue,

The following coach companies all do days trips combining Bath and Stonehenge:-

www.evanevans.co.uk
www.grayline.com (- Frames Rickard)
www.goldentours.co.uk
www.visitorsightseeing.co.uk

They all charge 40-45, I think, - so not cheap for a family, - but their prices include admission to Stonehenge (4 adult) and the Roman Baths (7 adult).

Alternatively you could do it independantly by train, - or hire a car.

If I can be of further help, please let me know. Enjoy your trip to my hometown!

Steve James
Bath, U.K

Feb 19th, 2001, 02:02 AM
Miles

As a resident of London, and having visited both of the aforementioned places, I believe that I may be of use in helping your decision. Firstly Bath is as I am sure that you are aware, a town; stonehenge a singular attraction. If you could only visit one of these, bath is of much greater cultural interest, stonehenge is worth seeing, but on a limited time basis, bath is the better option.

Feb 19th, 2001, 05:59 AM
Gary

As a US citizen living in London, I routinely have US visitors. The one-day, Bath/Stonehenge is one of the most common and popular things for my visitors.

Renting a car for the day, it is an easy start by taking the M4 (like an Interstate highway), starting about 8, due east out of London. About 2 1/2 hours later and two easy exits you're there.

From there, leaving about 1:30, some backroads found on any map take you through some gorgeous English countryside to Stonehenge. Stoehenge closes about 4:30 in March, so you have adequate time to see it, then hit the road. You should be home by 7:30. It's a long day, but a very memorable one.

Feb 19th, 2001, 06:52 AM
lisa

Our trip to Bath and Stonehenge was one of the highlights of our trip to London last year. Our kids loved it and still talk about it. There is a water fountain in the baths where you can taste the disgusting foul-smelling stuff. Used to be believed that drinking the stuff was healthy. The kids got a kick out of doing that. We ate at Sally Lunn's Bunn's (oldest teahouse in Bath.) My husband still hyperventilates at the thought of the prices there. We rented a car and did a 2 night/3 day trip starting at Stonehenge, going onto Bath, the Cheddar Gorge, the Cotswolds,Stratford upon Avon,Warwick and Blenheim. we found B&B's which were great for families. But if you only want to spend a day there, it is quite "do-able" My kids are a little older than yours but I think that you will enjoy it. Something else we stumbled upon in London which the kids enjoyed was eating at a restaurant at Sherlock Holme's house in Baker Street. It is quite upscale.Doesn't serve cheeseburgers and fries or kids meals but if your kids will eat adult food (they have steak), it is an enjoyable experience.They have turned the house into a museum and it is a lot of fun. Even more so, if you read the kids some of the Sherlock Holmes stories. we hadn't but they still enjoyed it. Another hint. Do the guided bus tours. Stop at Mme Tussaud's and if the line is too long, go to advance purchases and buy tickets for the following day. You will have no lines.

Feb 19th, 2001, 05:30 PM
Linda

Highly recommend Evans-Evans tour. Did it in October. They picked up at many of the hotels; had comfortable, clean buses; driver was a good tour guide; had plenty of time in Stonehenge, even to do a bit of shopping in the gift shop; and time in bath--at a good price. You can probably book from your London hotel, if you don't do it ahead of time. And yes, the trip was VERY worth it. I've seen a lot of England, having lived there for over 7 years, but my companion had never been to Stonehenge, and somehow I just never made it to Bath. I was impressed by both--even though it was my third trip to Stonehenge!