Bath Jazz Fesival

Search

Bath Jazz Fesival

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bath Jazz Fesival

The Bath Jazz Festival will be going on while we are scheduled to be there.

We are planning to spend 1 night in Bath and 1 in Chipping Campden. Should we change our plans since the festival is there? We both love music, but will everything be so much more expensive that we should try to stay somewhere else? Is it so wonderful, we should splurge?

Should we spend 2 nights in Bath and just drive the circle from Bath through the cotswolds so we can be back for music?

I know this is a question about taste, but since I really don't know how big of a deal this festival is, I don't want to miss something if it's fabulous!!!
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 10:16 AM

Teach,

Would you be so kind as to state the dates for this jazz event. Grazi.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 11:12 AM

We were in Bath for the jazz festival on the Friday evening in May a few years ago. Nothing was more expensive than normal that I noticed but, as it's Bath, you should ensure your accommodation is booked in advance.

There were various individual street musicians busking around the main shopping areas during the afternoon and evening which added to the atmosphere. In the evening there were various stages set up around the centre of Bath where musicians had different time slots to play. People drifted from one to another as their fancy took them. I don't remember paying anything but maybe donations.

It wasn't particularly crowded but it rained for a lot of the early evening so was probably quieter than usual. We went off for a meal, then wandered out much later when the rain had stopped. We drifted towards the Royal Crescent and lots of houses had candles lit in their front windows.

It was an enjoyable experience but certainly not dancing in the streets - when we were there.

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Spaarne, it's the last week of May and the first week of June.

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 01:25 PM
yk

teach - I don't know what your trip itinerary is like, but while you're in Bath, you can consider heading over to Salisbury for the Salibury International Arts Festival. There are plenty of different music performances, plus lots more. It is May 22 - June 9, 2009.
http://www.salisburyfestival.co.uk/home.aspx
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks yk, we will be staying with family over the week end in Kingsclere. It's on my agenda to go to Salisbury from there. It sounds like we should catch the Shakespeare on Saturday night. This is going to turn out to be great fun!!!
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 09:17 PM

There's no Bath Jazz Festival any more.

There's a two-week music festival, which includes some jazz, but is actually a great deal stronger on classical music. It animates the city - but hardly transforms it. Like many festivals in central English cities, its organisers vastly exaggerate in their own minds its importance to the city concerned - and then compound that exaggeration in promotional material. You'll find a few buskers in the streets, possibly a small public stage or two and a few dozen small events in concert halls and churches. There absolutely isn't a three-day wall-to-wall concert in a field with an audience of thousands.

Before amending your plans in any way, you should look at the calendar of events very carefully. (http://www.bathmusicfest.org.uk/inde...&tags=jazz) You might find something that's important to you - but don't bank on it.

Incidentally, don't underestimate the drive time from Bath to Chipping Campden. It's not just slow (I'd allow a couple of hours each way), but absolutely infested with easily-overlooked speed cameras.