Bath, England

Sep 9th, 1997, 06:26 PM
Mimi

Bath, England

Need information on Bath. Will be in London, planning a side trip there. What to see/do and is one day ok for just a short trip. Thanks. Mimi

Sep 10th, 1997, 10:45 AM
murphy

Bath is definitely worth a visit. Try to allow as much of a full day as you can, and be sure to see the baths, the cathedral and the "square" with the adjacent Pump Room. It's nice just to stroll around the city, and I think day trips are do-able. We stayed one night and that gave us plenty to time.

Sep 11th, 1997, 12:19 PM
dodger

We have done this by train from London. You can buy a "cheap day return" ticket which gives you plenty of time to see bath. You might want to take the open top bus tour as you get to see a lot of the local area. If you plan on a lot of day trips from London you might want to buy a rail pass. There are many towns that are easy to get to.

Sep 14th, 1997, 10:09 AM
susan

If you go to Bath, you must do the Bizarre Bath walking tour! It promises no historical or educational information whatsoever, just laughter until your sides hurt. We went in July, and happened to be in the same tour group as Rick Steves, his wife, and youn daughter. They seemed delighted as well.

Sep 14th, 1997, 04:42 PM
Mimi

Thanks everyone. Will definately try the Bizarre Bath Walk. Can't wait. Mimi

Sep 16th, 1997, 08:31 AM
B.Irving

We have done day trips from London to Bath a couple of times, using our Britrail passes. I also know somebody who time their day trip to Bath
to co-incide with the Orient express segment that goes from London to Bath. In Bath,
do the obvious & much worth while things of visiting the Roman Baths & other things mentioned before. But also go up to the Royal Crescent to
get a fantastic view of overlooking the area & also to see the Georgian type housing. There is a Georgian Hous museum there that you can go through.
I found it interesting. A couple things that we did on our second trip to Bath, which I didn't even know about on the first trip: Walk down by the
AVON river & go across the bridge which has a number of interesting shop that are actually built on the bridge in the sytle that used to be. Then
take a scenic boat ride on the Avon river, which was thoroughly relaxing & very scenic. Enjoy

Sep 16th, 1997, 08:58 AM
Joe

Last Sunday's New York Times (9/14/97) included the Sophisticated Traveler, a magazine published twice a year. A feature article was on Bath -- it contained a great description and suggested things to do. Your local library will have the newspaper.

Sep 21st, 1997, 08:24 AM
Anna

Hi....I find it amazing how famous Bath is becoming! I live in a small town about 8 miles away....and definitely recommend it to tourists...
Places to go: Aside from the cathedral, roman baths etc... go to "Ben's cookies" (yum!)....and there is a cool antiques market on a Saturday morning....also the theatre is beautiful..and the costume museum is worth a look.....the open-top bus tour is very popular with the tourists and is a great way to see the city....
If I can help with anything else then let me know....have fun!