Bastogne

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 12:24 PM
Harvey Klinger

Bastogne

Need some ideas for dinning and accommodations in or near Bastogne. Harvey

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 05:57 PM
wes fowler

Harvey,
Bastogne is a less than impressive and hardly scenic town. While it does have two four star hotels and a two star hotel, you'll find much more interesting accommodations within a relatively short distance of Bastogne. Are you traveling by car and, if so, when? I can recommend a number of inns (and a chateau as well) if you're interested. Most have superb restaurants featuring local cuisine. Many also feature game in season. Drop me an Email if you'll consider staying a few miles from Bastogne and I'll provide you with a list of a few accommodations with their websites and approximate costs.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 07:09 PM
Lauren

I have never been to Bastogne, but if you are going to visit the Battle of the Bulge museum and sites, come back and give us a trip report please. My Dad was in The Bulge and Bastogne has been on my list of places I would like to visit for a very long time.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 04:08 AM
Al

Lauren: the country around Bastogne reminded me of southern Iowa, rolling with intermittent woodland. Just outside town, you come to the museum and monument to the Battle of the Bulge. They are next to each other on a hilltop. The monument is a huge thing, star-shaped, and you can climb a set of stairs to the roof and look over the rolling farmland in all directions. Plaques point out spots of interest from the fighting. The walls of the monument give a review of what occurred there in December '44, January '45. It lists names of all the outfits from all the states that participated. Just across the parking lot is a the museum, a low-lying structure that is not imposing. The goodies are on the inside, surrounding a sight-and-sound diorama of the battle. Glass cases contains scenes from the battle with life-sized mannequins of the men who fought there, including lots and lots of uniforms, equipment, vehicles, weapons, etc. It will take you a couple hours to cover it all. There is an entrance fee to the museum but none to the monument. The parking lot is huge and its use is free. Look at a map, and you can see how you can make a nice day trip from Bastogne to Malmedy to St. Vith and back. Take a picnic lunch if weather permits and enjoy the beautiful countryside.

Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wes Fowler. I am planning a trip to WW2 sites in Belgium in June. Please post suggestions for hotels /towns other than Bastogne. Plan to spend at least 10 days in area...any suggestions appreciated. My grandson is a WW2 history buff. Probably will go to Remagen in the North and Verdun in the South...then to the coast Dunkerque. Any advice??
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 08:11 PM

For anyone visiting the Battle of the Bulge area, I highly recommend touring the National Museum of Military History in Diekirch, Luxembourg (about 40 miles east of Bastogne. In my opinion this is the best WW II museum on the continent. Street adress is 10 Bamertal.

Also the US Military Cemetary on the outskirts of Luxembourg City is special. General Patton is buried there.

Jinx Hoover
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 04:02 AM
ira

Hi R,

You have retrieved a post from 2001.

Unfortunately, Wes is no longer with us.

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 12:29 PM

My father was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge. I visited the area several years ago. We stayed at http://www.domainedupontdoye.be/
a most unique property with first rate food. The rooms are a bit frayed, but interesting.