bastille day

Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

bastille day

When is Bastille Day in July? Are there any events associated with the holiday that would be fun/worth attending if you were a college age student? Do most stores and restaurants close for the holiday?
Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:16 PM

July 14 is the fête nationale. There are events all over the country associated with it - where will you be?

And yes, depending on where you are, it's likely that commercial establishments will be closed - though I'm sure you'll find a restaurant or two open no matter where you are.
Feb 24th, 2006, 05:19 AM
ira

Hi bh,

July 14 in France is like July 4 in the US.

Feb 24th, 2006, 05:27 AM

I think a college student would have a great time on Bastille Day. My experience of it was Paris and people dance in the streets. You certainly won't starve -- there is food being served everywhere. And the evening is capped by fireworks over the city.

It is jammed and a madhouse, like Times Square, only more so. I was with my sister, and we got separated, and didn't find each other until we both returned to our hotel in the wee hours. So if you don't like crowds, you might seek out the celebrations in a smaller town. But it is very festive, and I think you'll find dancing everywhere.
Feb 24th, 2006, 05:33 AM

Yes dancing everywhere and don't forget le bal des pompiers in the Marais, there are the best.
Feb 24th, 2006, 06:19 AM

Go to the local fire station on July 13th, but get there EARLY. There will be a zillion like minded college age students there dancing and drinking and doing general frat party stuff (French style!). Buy picnic food and drink for the 14th, then grab a picnic blanket and join people during the afternoon and evening under the Eiffel Tower (if it's not blocked off this year)to watch the fireworks over the Trocadero in the evening (starts around 10 p.m.). If you are not too hung over from the night before, go to the morning parade along the Champs Elysee, but keep in mind that metro stops along the parade route are closed before and during the parade.

Nearly all stores are closed. Many restaurants, cafes and bars are OPEN. There are a couple that will have fresh bread, but you have to get there as they come out of the oven -- they go fast!