Base info & hotels for Connemara and Donegal areas

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2023, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want our next trip to Ireland to focus on Galway, Connemara and maybe Donegal. We are not planning to drive (we never do and will hire a driver when needed). We haven't been to any of these places in Ireland (only Dublin, Adare, Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula and Killarney). We have lots of time as this would likely be late Summer or very early Fall 2024.

Thoughts on where to base in Connemara and in Donegal? We do not like to change hotels frequently.

I have a few thoughts on an outline of an itinerary. We haven't determined total nights for the trip but will likely be 9-10 nights.

Rough draft plan number one is to fly in/out of Shannon and and then head to Donegal because it's a bit farther and we'll come back to Connemara on the way back. Three days in Donegal...staying maybe at Lough Eske Castle or Harvey's Point. Then back to Connemara for 3-4 days (see potential hotels below). End with two days in Galway. Thoughts on The Hardiman? It seems centrally located.

Another idea - draft itinerary two: eliminate Donegal and focus on Connemara - so perhaps splitting our time in two locations in Connemara. Some of the hotels I am interested in are: Knockranny House Hotel, Castlecourt Hotel, Delphi Resort, Abbeyglen Castle hotel and Connemara Sands Beach hotel - just initial thoughts and open to others (and feedback on these hotels).

In general, we want to kayak, hike, maybe paddle board, maybe bike...enjoy the scenery and seafood. I do want to go to Kylemore Abbey.

End with 1-2 days in Galway.

I think no matter where we stay, there will be plenty around to enjoy.
Old May 29th, 2023, 10:03 AM

Ireland trip

We just returned from a trip to Ireland. We stayed at Lough Eske Hotel and enjoyed it a great deal. There is a lovely library with a wood-burning fireplace where we had a number of interesting conversations with other guests.

I have been intrigued by Dromoland Castle (where we did not stay), which is near shannon airport.

Around Galway, we stayed at Glenlo Abbey hotel. Another tempting option is Ashford Castle-but it's out of town.

We went to Kylemore Abbey. It is spectacular. We just wandered around the main building, and the tagged along for a while with a group with a tour leader who knew a lot about the Abbey. I think it would good to tour the Abbey with a guide, if possible.
Old May 29th, 2023, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

I know Ashford Castle. It’s a consideration but a little far from the main things in Connemara we are interested in—although I am sure there is plenty on the grounds to see/do.

Glenlo Abbey-did you find the location convenient? I have looked at it but it seems a bit far from Galway so I’d be interested in your thoughts.

We were taken for a quick look at Dromoland Castle on our last visit. It seems nice and our Irish driver loves it. To me it seemed to not have much around it and we thought it strange the you drive up looking at the back rather then the front of the castle.
Old Jul 12th, 2023, 08:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Signing on as we plan to be in this area in 2024.
Have you made anymore plans, Denise?
Old Jul 13th, 2023, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

yestravel- no plans yet...we totally lost our minds and just got 2 puppies (one woulda been enough, two is insanity), so we've been trying to survive that as most days they outsmart us and definitely have us running! Work has been super busy, also so I am behind but it's likely that we would go to Ireland at the end of Summer.

The trip is on my mind and I am thinking maybe we will stay in Galway and visit some of Connemara from there. We don't like changing hotels very much. I think we will focus more on Donegal and spend most of our time there.

Instagram mocks me daily as I see all the gorgeous posts! In Donegal -we'd probably stay in Lough Eske Castle.

What are your plans?
Old Jul 13th, 2023, 05:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by denisea
yestravel- no plans yet...we totally lost our minds and just got 2 puppies (one woulda been enough, two is insanity), so we've been trying to survive that as most days they outsmart us and definitely have us running! Work has been super busy, also so I am behind but it's likely that we would go to Ireland at the end of Summer.

The trip is on my mind and I am thinking maybe we will stay in Galway and visit some of Connemara from there. We don't like changing hotels very much. I think we will focus more on Donegal and spend most of our time there.

Instagram mocks me daily as I see all the gorgeous posts! In Donegal -we'd probably stay in Lough Eske Castle.

What are your plans?
Have fun with the puppies! Two could be a handful and it sounds like they are.

We are putting together a tentative itin and will post it shortly for comments. As I said in the other thread we have 4-5 weeks so lots of time to hopefully get a nice trip around the island. Used to be I figured we'd get back to places, but unfortunately that is not going to happen with everyplace nowadays.