bartending in scotland

Search

bartending in scotland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2016, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bartending in scotland

Hey guys, I'm moving over to the UK in June but before that I want to check out Scotland for a month.

I want to get work as a bartender (Iv got years of experience so hope its easy finding a job). So Im open to suggestions on wheres the best place to live/work in Scotland. I want to be immersed in the culture but also close to mountains/ outside based activities.

I want to spend my non-working days exploring, but I will be poor as, so Im looking for a place pretty close to day trips out and about.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Oh Im moving from Australia and am 20 if that helps at all.

Thank you!
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 12:13 AM

I'm not sure what the deal is with Australia, but will you need a work permit?
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

Yes its a working visa that allows me to work in Europe for 2 years.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 12:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Aberdeen used to be good, but oil prices will be hurting soon so avoid. Edinburgh might be the best.

The isles will be too small for you, though I found an aussie doing Whisky tastings in Orkney
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 12:46 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the tips!

Also just wondering if you know how Australians are viewed in Scotland. As in would it be relatively easy or difficult for me to find a job based on being aussie. Or am I just over thinking it and this won't even be an issue.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 12:52 AM

Scotland is (still) in the UK. Are you looking for a one-month job in Scotland before moving elsewhere in the UK?

Don't know how many years of experience you've amassed at age 20, but you still might need to learn more than a few new things about what locals typically want and ask for when they go to a bar. (Some Scottish accents are easier to understand than others.) You should probably find a message forum for bartenders and ask questions there.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 01:04 AM

<i>Aberdeen used to be good, but oil prices will be hurting soon so avoid. </i>

Oil is already below $28/barrel: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35340893
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 01:13 AM

You are probably getting Tier 5 youth mobility scheme visa valid 2 years, but it only allows you to work in UK. There are other working holiday visas you can get as an Australian in some other European countries, so it's possible to extend your stay in Europe.

As for getting a bar job, I suggest you don't go for any job-with-accommodation deals advertised online, as most are scams. Just come over with good amount of initial capital - around £3,000 though that's more than Tier 5 YMS visa requires, and start asking for jobs. Arriving around Feb/early March is good as the tourist season will just be kicking in (Easter is early this year). Try to get national insurance number soon after arrival, as you will be asked for it by potential employers. Google for national insurance number application. I'd start in Edinburgh, then Glasgow.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 03:09 AM

The Scots have no issues with Aussies, why would they? They can forgive Rugby

No one cares if you are an Aussie, the issue will be "can you do the job", "will you disappear at a moments notice", "do they have a relation who can do the job as well as you"

so don't turn up saying, "I can't pull a pint of Guiness, I want to be in Prague in a weeks time and I don't like red-heads", you will have to learn the vernacular for certain things, "heavy" for example but google is your friend.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 03:42 AM

You need to start looking now.

Most businesses start recruiting summer staff In February to be ready for Easter.

Believe me, if you show interest and any signs of reliability then you will not have a problem finding work in a tourist area. Be honest with your intentions and never let employers down.

Even with a couple of million unemployed we find it incredibly hard to find suitable staff.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 06:34 AM

a month? Really? If you came for the summer, not problem, but if you only want to work a month, try the agencies.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 06:36 AM

well spotted Sheila, a month.... I doubt they will even let you through the door. Summer season will want 6 months drying off in Sept.
Old Jan 20th, 2016, 10:43 PM

YOu might get away with 4- June to September
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 08:09 AM

Why would the Scots have probs with Aussies? You all speak a pidgin variant of English that's only intermittently understandable by other native English speakers.

Do note that the Scottish separatist vote failed, Scotland is still in the UK and has been for 309 years. So is Northern Ireland.