Search

Bari

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bari

I was just curious what the weather was like in Bari in mid November. As well as, what are some cool things to see while there? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 09:02 AM

The old quarter of Bari has some interesting churches, including San Nicola where St. Nicholas is entombed. The area is a warren of narrow, winding streets but, while architectually interesting, has lately suffered from increased crime. I wouldn't go there at night and would be careful during the day.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 06:00 PM

The church of San Nicola is beautiful and the newly-restored duomo is also worth a visit.

Be very careful in Old Bari. After more than 20 trips to Italy, it is the one place I ever experienced street crime personally--a purse snatching. Even worse: it was my friend's purse that was snatched, and she is Italian and has lived in Italy all her life. So it's not just tourists, but people who are inattentive who become targets. The warren of streets is interesting, but was developed over hundreds of years by the locals to confound visitors. It was easy for the snatcher to disappear quickly. Just stay alert.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Chilly and it can be damp (November is a rainy month in So. Italy) Then again, it could be sunny and beautiful! I hope so - I'll be in the area in Nov. as well ;-) I don't know Bari well...but if you want to get out of town, I'd highly recommend a daytrip out to Castle del Monte - the "octagonal" castle in Andria.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 10:43 PM

The others posters have listed wonderful sites. But if you have a car we enjoyed the following areas.

IF with children - Zoosafari (Fasano) 1 hour outside of Bari is crazy fun. It is an amusement park and drive through animal park.

Alberobello with the truli homes (our kids loved staying there), tour Grotte di Castellana(the grottoes of Castellana) check times for english tours, and the town of Matera ( I never saw the movie but I heard the Passion of Christ was filmed there).
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 01:18 PM

I, along with two friends, will be in Bari at the end of October, but only for one night. We will be ending a five day stint in the region. Does anyone have recommendations as to where to stay?
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 03:00 PM
kja

Hi, luv_totravel -

The Hotel Adria suited my needs when I was there - it is very near the train station, the staff were outstanding, the breakfast was good, my small single was clean and comfortable.

Also, if it is still open when you are there (it's only open in summer), consider going a bit outside of Bari to the Ristorante Grotta Palazzese for dinner - amazing!

http://www.grottapalazzese.it/

Enjoy!
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 12:42 AM

Check out castellana, the caves there are spectacular. its a nice little town to spend an afternoon in. eat at la bella Capri pizzeria. does a great diavola pizza.

the agriturismo serra gambetta is great too, typical puglese food and a historic setting.

monopoli is close too for a dip in the sea if its hot.