Reload this Page >

Bargain US-to-Europe airfares scarce, says Wash.Post

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Mark

No, it's not your imagination. Yesterday's Washington Post Travel Section (www.washingtonpost.com) verifies that cheap fares from the US to Europe are and will be hard to find this spring and summer. If the web monitors at Fodors will allow me to briefly quote the item in the Post's "ComingAndGoing" column: "So you've been shocked by the $1,000-plus fares to Europe this summer and have been waiting for those $300 bargains that have popped up in days of yore. Forget it." The article reports that air-fare experts say if you find a fare for under $700US including tax, grab it. Seems capacity is down and airlines are "desperate to recover losses."

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 08:25 AM
michele

Similar report in the LA Times....

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:17 AM
searching

Does anyone have a link to either article they can post.., I checked both sites and can't find it!<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:37 AM
martha python

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002Apr26.html

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Christina

The Wash Post has a very good travel section. This item was in their weekly column called "Coming and Going" here is a specific URL to yesterday's column with that discussion:<BR>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002Apr26.html

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Alec

I got a last-minute flight SFO-LGW for base price 288 USD (it came to something like 375 with all taxes and fees) about three weeks ago. When the plane left, every seat on the flight was taken. People didn't buy the seats at the exorbitant prices the airline tried to charge, so they brought the prices down. It still happens.<BR><BR>Sadly, though, a lot of people will just pay the ridiculous prices, espeically because The Washington Post (or another such authority) says they can't do any better. Incedentally, there are still plenty of cheap round-trips available FROM Europe TO North and South America.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:07 AM
John

The Wall Street Journal started all this with an article two or three weeks ago. Fares are not likely to go down this summer unless you are willing to wait to book until the last minute. If airlines realize they aren't selling tickets, prices are likely to go down. <BR><BR>Beware, however, that high airfares have not deterred many people. I am booking a trip to the French Riviera and Amalfi coast for August, and my travel agent has been on the fax machine for days finding hotels; many places are already booked through October.