Reload this Page >

barefoot in France

Search

barefoot in France

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Contessa

barefoot in France

Shoes are so heavy to carry, and so many of them are uncomfortable if worn too long, or they get sweaty if worn daily. I'd like to cut down on shoes taken to france by taking only the bare essentials, hiking boots for my walking tour in the Jura, and dressy low heels for the opera and good restaurants in paris. would it be acceptable to go barefoot at other times? I have very tough soles on my feet and I never get infections, so I have no fear of cuts or germs. Where are bare feet acceptable in France.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:50 AM
country

On the farm-ONLY if you are pregnant.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:51 AM
sue

under bridges,where the trolls live.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:00 PM
ohno

You may go barefoot at the eatery run by Alain Ducasse, since after you pay the bill you will not be able to afford shoes

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:24 PM
redmenace

Shoes in France are mandatory. Its clothing that is optional!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:31 PM
London009

Bare feet are permitted only when you have met and been wooed by a french romeo. He must then initiate you into the club and give you a special token.<BR><BR>If you have the token, you can go barefoot.<BR><BR>Without the token the men in white suits will take you away.<BR><BR>PS In seriousness (for some odd reason) I usually take walking shoes which look like trainers/ sneakers, one pair black ankle boots which can be worn smart or casual, and one pair flat walking sandals in feminine style which are better than barefeet any day.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:33 PM
s.fowler

My dear Contessa,<BR>Barefoot can be very chic indeed -- be sure the nails are well groomed and colored -- perhaps a toe ring? But *do* be careful in Paris -- you wouldn't want to slip and take a nasty fall as the consequence of a canine contribution to the Parisian scene...

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Curious2know

I enjoy standing or walking in snow banks in Switzerland barefoot. Also, if you walk sloooowwwly over those cool, cobblestoned streets in some of those quaint little villages, you really do absorb a marvelous, unparalleled sense of history. In short, Contessa, &lt;&lt;Bonne chance, bon voyage&gt;&gt;, and wherever you may be (outside of the opera, a nice restaurant or a cathedral, my dear) let your feet wander free!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Podiatricpoets

Actually, it's a known fact that people are far less likely to slip when walking barefoot, as the human foot is designed to cling to the walking surface were necessary to retain traction, and can also step lightly, enabling a graceful, lightweight person to move in a manner almost resembling flying. It's a beautiful thing, the foot. Just beautiful. Don't even get me started....

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:48 PM
decisions, decisions

It's the perfect solution to the dilemma of having too many fashion choices. Stack heels, chunky heels, wedgies, slides, oxfords, ghillies, stilettos, cubans, sandals, espadrilles, go in and out of style and no one style suits everyone's taste. Your god-given tootsies, however, never go out of style.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:51 PM
mjs

The Parisians, given the state of their sidewalks, have a term for this fashion: les pieds de poopoo des chiens.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Mme. Figuier

You must, simply must, take a walk through the lavender fields of Provence barefoot. The fragrance of lavender squished through the toes is just magnifique.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Morning Giggle

Has anyone read "Barefoot in Tuscany?" The writer purchased several pairs of shoes in Italy and spent a year putting new soles on them and polishing them. I highly recommend it.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 01:26 PM
london009

I preferred "Extra Barefoot". I felt she had a much more down to earth writing style about walking through the Ligurian countryside.<BR><BR>A real warts, blisters and all diary.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Amie des 009

Vous &ecirc;tes tr&egrave;s tr&egrave;s dr&ocirc;les. Amusez-vous!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Chateau 009

You sound highly qualified to work in my organic, low-tech winery. Strong, healthy feet are highly prized for the task of crushing the grapes, you know. So scrub on up, and take your tootsies over for an interview, Contessa!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 03:03 PM
JB

Very funny replies. The best thing to do is bring 3 pairs of shoes - your hiking boots, your dress shoes and one more pair of walking type of shoes. Switch off your walking shoes every other day. If you wear the same shoes every day your feet will be miserable. And finally, barefoot in November - you must be going somewhere else besides Paris!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Capo

I suspect that bare feet may be more than acceptable in the hands of certain Frenchmen. :~)<BR><BR>Other than that, you may want to try beaches. Probably not the streets of Paris, however, due to (as s.fowler put so well) the "canine contributions" to the sidewalks. <BR><BR>Re: "You may go barefoot at the eatery run by Alain Ducasse, since after you pay the bill you will not be able to afford shoes." *LOL*, thanks for the laugh!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 05:32 PM
question

Did you know France is a nation of dogs,underfoot everywhere.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Hotfoot

The real truth is that everyone goes barefoot in France except in the cities and in tourist areas and in rocky areas where you must hike with sturdy footwear. If all you ever saw was people with shoes, you must never have gone beyone the cities and tourist areas and mountains. We do wear shoes in winter though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -