Barceloneta apt? What do you think?

Apr 24th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Barceloneta apt? What do you think?

Has anyone stayed at an apt. in Barceloneta (close to the beach)?
What do you think? I am a little hesitant to be staying in an apt, considering we do not know the city. However, having more space and privacy seems to be a bonus, not to mention the fridge or washer/dryer - not that I plan on cooking or doing much laundry - but you could keep fruits fresh, drinks cold, and maybe do the laundry once if we run out of clothes.
I am not sure how Barceloneta is, in terms of safety. I do know it is close to the beach, and that it is an old naighborhood.
What do you think? Anybody? If sightseeing is my priority (but I would not mind swimming once or twice), should I investigate this option, or should I simply stick to staying in a hotel or hostal (Barri Gothic or Eixample)
WHAT DO YOU think?
Please, share. Like I said in my previous post, I am going in July, so I have time to research all my options.
THANK YOU for your patience
Agnes
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:55 AM

To me, Barceloneta looks like a slum. Extremely ugly houses, obviously poor people living there. No one else going there.

I found that many people on this forum are concerned about safety in the Barri Gotic. I think that's ridiculous. But IF there is one neighborhood in Barcelona which might be dubious than it is Barceloneta.

We enjoyed staying in apartment-like rooms in hotel Boria. It was gorgeous, but not cheap.

www.boriabcn.com

I wrote a review with pictures on tripadvisor.
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I think you have answered my question.
Agnes
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

You are right. These apartments are beautiful, but out of our price range.
Thank you.
A
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:48 AM

Agnes, I have stayed in an apt. in Barceloneta, and we REALLY enjoyed it. We felt completely safe, and NO, it is far from a slum! There are plenty of bars, restaurants, shops, etc. within easy walking distance. It's true that it's more of a locals neighborhood, but that was one of the things we liked about it. We rented an apt from www.akaza.net. We had a 2 BR/1 BA apt with a small kitchenette, living room, balcony, etc. that we paid about $700 for 6 nights. It was well furnished(Pottery Barn-ish), and although it didn't have a washer/dryer, we didn't find that we needed one. Please don't let one person's opinion scare you off~that was a bit of a snotty line. Traveller1959 probably also wouldn't dream of staying anywhere without a/c or a concierge either.
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:15 AM

We went down to Barceloneta several times and I would have no problem staying there. We were in Barcelona in March, so the beach wasn't a big draw, but in warmer weather, I think it would be a great location.
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Well, thank you.
I appreciate all input - I guess I will research it further.
If anything, I will finally choose between Hostal Goya or Regencia Colon.
There is time till July - so I will look aroound.
Thank you!
Agnes