Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Info for train from Bacharach to Alsace, help

Apr 24th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

I'm trying to find out how long of a train ride it is from Bacharach, Germany to Alsace, France. It won't come up on the rail Europe sight, how do I get this information.
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Try it on www.bahn.de (click on international guests). I ran it from Bacharach to Strasbourg (is that what you meant by Alsace?) and it came up at 4.5 hours, which seems too long to me as it is not all that far away. Anyway, I didn't play around with it too long.
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:33 PM

A better way to get schedule information from the German Rail website is to go directly to their English query page, http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en.

Don't! use Rail Europe for schedule information or for fares. Rail Europe is not an informational website for European trains. They are a seller of tickets, and the tickets they sell are for a limited selection of trains, the most expensive trains, and they only show schedules for the trains for which they sell tickets.

I am not terribly surprised at 4.5 hours for Bacharach to Strasbourg as it is a kludge of regional trains.
However, there are several routes (Bacharach to Saarbrücken, or Bacharach to Karlsruhe, and you might find a shorter time depending on the route and how much you want to pay.
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:27 PM

BTW, it looks like German Rail and Franch Rail have a promotion called, in German, Saar-Elsass-Ticket. It is described at http://www.bahn.de/regional/view/saa...r_elsass.shtml, although only in German.

Essentially, from any station in Saarland (that's south of Bacharach) to Strasbourg via Hanweiler by regional train it's €35 for up to five people on weekends. On weekdays after 9 AM, the first person pays €35, the next four (max) pay €17,50.
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:05 AM

I find Bach to Strasbourg at 3:30 minutes via either Mainz/Offenburg or via Bingen/Stuttgart.
I took this trip a couple of years ago--this is the only (though inconvenient rail connection). I THINK there are bus connections via Freiburg, but due to less frequent departures (?3 per day), the travel time was about equal.
IMO still worth the trip!