Barcelona's Barri Gothic - Safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to narrow our hotel choices (too many!) for Barcelona (early June 2012), and keep coming back to the Barri Gotic area (near to the Catedral). It's a few blocks off Las Ramblas (a little more peaceful), in one of the most historic parts of the city, and close to many of our "must sees." But the tiny cobbled streets also look a lot like alley ways. Is this area generally considered safe when returning to your hotel at midnight? I know crimes can happen anywhere, and pickpockets are everywhere, but is this a good area for our Barcelona base? Thanks for any inside info you can share.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 07:33 PM

The area around the Cathedral is fairly well lit. But staying in Eixample in the box formed by the Diagonal, Verdaguer, Passeig de Gracia and Placa Catalunya Metro stations would allay your concerns and certainly keep you near major sites. And the distance from Placa Catalunya to Port Vell is not great.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 08:35 PM

If you have the exact location, it would be easier to respond.

Big Russ makes a good point thought.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 03:23 AM

This might help you.

For the record, I would prefer to stay in the Eixample:

http://www.letsgo.com/20500-spain_an..._las_ramblas-c
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 07:57 AM

We staying at Hotel Neri (5 days) and Hotel Colon (five days)in/near Bari Gothic on two separate trips and had absolutely NO problems and loved the location.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 08:10 AM

My wife and I stayed in an apartment off Princessa (through Barcelona Habitat) and never had a problem or felt unsafe. The apartment was ~ 50 meters from the Picasso Museum.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 08:27 AM

I wouldn't stay there if you intend to be walking around at midnight, not near the cathedral. More peaceful means darker and not as many people around. I've been in that area, I wouldn't do it and don't think most would recommend it who now the area, but if you were more explicit, as someone said, people could respond better. You obviously have a specific hotel in mind, what is it.

There are definitely more dangerous areas than others in Barcelona, of course a crime "can" happen anywhere but that is ignoring the facts.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 09:47 AM

I've stayed in the BG area twice, most recently this past October. First time was a few years ago with 2 teenage daughters so we weren't out that late, maybe 10-11pm, and this past month with a 20yo daughter and fellow Fodorite Barb. Some nights we were walking around in the midnight hour LOL!

Both times were in rented apartments so probably a little more off-the-beaten track than any hotel.

I have to say I have felt perfectly safe in those little alleys both times, though I was always with other people and never alone.

What hotels are you considering? Tell us that and perhaps we can come back with more constructive comments about the locations...
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we do have a specific location in mind: Hotel Barcelona Catedral (address: c/ dels Capellans 4· 08002 Barcelona), which is very close to the cathedral (no surprise there!) That district puts us in the best location for walking to many museums, Las Ramblas, even the waterfront. It seems like a better base for sightseeing, as long as it's relatively safe. L'Eixample looks live a lovely area, and very appealing with the proximity to all-Gaudi, but seemed a little removed from the older/historic part of city where we'll likely spend the most time.

Thanks for any additional info you can provide based upon the specific address.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 02:22 PM

We stayed at Hotel Regencia Colon - right by the cathedral - I think this area is very safe. Spaniards are night owls - there will be people out and about at midnight and there are alot of restaraunts in the area. IMO the biggest crime possibility is being pickpocketed in the metro and in the middle of the day the tricky little folks are very busy.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks suec1 - that's what I am hoping will be the consensus. Us (which may be 1 or 2 couples) returning at midnight is a stretch for us, but am hoping we won't be roaming totally deserted streets. However, I do have some concerns which I hope can be resolved before I commit to a hotel.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 04:59 PM

The streets and alleys all are well-lighted. We stay in apartments and have never felt threatened. That said, we avoid the smaller, deserted alleys when returning at night; on larger streets there always are people around. That's no different from New York or Boston, which both have sections that are truly frightening.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 06:24 PM

your location is fine... I am not fond of the area bellow
Ferran
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Alan-CT & danon. Will try to be vigilant & will not be coming back drunk late at night! Hopefully it's reasonably safe.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 04:59 AM

As danon says, I would be careful in some of the area below Carrer de Ferran at night. The rest of the old town is fine and full of restaurants, cafés, bars and people. I recommend El Born: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...s/el-born.html
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 06:31 AM

As suec said, midnight is not "late" in Barcelona (or Spain in general). Dinner starts maybe a bit less late than in the "rest" of Spain, but it's not uncommon to finish it by 11pm to midnight. So you won't be alone on the streets where your hotel is. Especially in summer, you will be amazed how full the streets are with "ordinary people" at the wee hours.

That area between the Cathedral and Pl. Catalunya is also a major shopping area. The Av Portal de l'Angel, for example, which leads from Pl Catalunya to the Cathedral and passes nearby your hotel is a wide pedestrianized avenue, lined with stores. Also in front of the Cathedral you have a wide and long square. So it ain't all narrow alleys in the old town.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks folks, especially the specific reference to staying above Carrer de Ferran at night. You KNOW I went straight to google maps to see where that is & where our intended hotel is! We're ok by a few blocks. I guess the consensus is that Barri Gotic is not everyone's favorite district, but should be ok. It seems like a good location for us, so I guess we go for it.

Thanks again to all who shared advice, experience, suggestions.
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 08:25 AM

The cathedral area of Gotic is great. We loved it's location and the ancient streets. Eixample is much more modern. I wouldn't linger around the end of Las Ramblas after 1 or 2 am by myself. (Maybe i would but I wouldn't recommend anyone else to do it).
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Egbert. I'll be very happy if I can adapt to dining @ 10. NO danger of me lingering anywhere @ 2 am, except flat on my back in bed! (most likely @ Hotel Barcelona Catedral) Do appreciate your positive comment about Barri Gotic, and I'll follow the previous advice to stay above Carrer de Ferran at night.
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 03:10 PM

Ferran itself is o.k..., many restaurants In Placa Reial ( very touristy)
Rambla and number of other streets further sout h are well lit, but tend to attract
a strange cowed late at night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -