Barcelona with small child

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. Planning a trip to Barcelona this spring with 2 adults and a five year old. Flying from the West Coast of the US and planning to spend about 8 days in the city with day trips to Sitges and Montserrat. Was wondering if 6 days was too long in the city, and if so, should we plan another day trip? Some visitors on this site have said 3-4 days is enough in Barcelona. Was planning to take the tourist bus for both the north and south loops for sightseeing. Would that be the best option for a child who does not want to walk too much?

Also, maybe a stretch, but I have always wanted to go to Carcassonne and it looks like it is about 3 hours away...is that possible for a day trip? We don't mind driving if it is truly only 3 hours each way. Better for an overnight?

Thank you. Also, if there is anything that you could specifically recommend for a young child, I would very much appreciate it.
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 08:09 PM

Hi, we went with our 6 year old the summer of 2013. We stayed in Barcelona for 2 weeks with many day trips to Costa Brava, Villanova, Girona, and to Figueres. I loved it and found that 3-4 days would not have been enough for me in Barcelona. We went to the beach in the city, which is not as nice as Sitges. Didn't go to Montserrat, but I am sure it is gorgeous.
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 09:15 PM

"We don't mind driving if it is truly only 3 hours each way".

It is doable in 3 hours if you don't leave the motorway and if there is little traffic but it is a bit optimistic. I would count on 4 hours (or slightly less).
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 10:54 PM

Don't forget here in Europe your child has to be in a child seat and strapped in. Those 3 hours (total 6) can mount up for them.
PS can you ask to retag this to Spain and not Italy please?
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Ribeirasacra- how do I tag/change tag? I don't even know how Italy got on there!
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 04:26 AM

Barcelona is a beautiful destination to explore and 3-4 days are not enough. So, you can enjoy your 8 days in Barcelona
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 08:37 AM

I think 3-4 days are "enough" if that is what works in a trip that includes other cities. That isn't the same thing as saying no one could fill more than 3-4 days with activities in Barcelona. There are a lot of things to do in Barcelona, more than most people realize, you can easily fill that time without another day trip.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 09:31 AM

<i>Was wondering if 6 days was too long in the city, and if so, should we plan another day trip?</i>

It's not too long.

<i>Some visitors on this site have said 3-4 days is enough in Barcelona.</i>

Some have said you could spend weeks there. So which some do you want to believe?

Fact is you are traveling with a SMALL CHILD and that means you will be able to do about 60% of what you would normally cover during your touring. That means your 6 nights in Barcelona, if you choose to spend that many, will be about 4 (or less) in terms of what you'd cover if you traveled without the halfling. Account for that fact and you'll have a better time.

And go googling Barcelona for kids. There's a big aquarium at the Port Vell that is riotously expensive but interesting for hobbits.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 10:43 AM

To retag you send the mods an alert via the triangle and ask them to do it in the pop up message