Barcelona- safe area

Jul 7th, 2001, 05:57 AM
sarah

Barcelona- safe area

Having read some of the threads on Barcelona for the first time ever I have become a touch worried about my visit in August. I am booked to stay in the Hotel Continental Ramblas which is at the top end. Is this part of the Ramblas OK or should I be looking for a hotel away from the Ramblas altogether?
Thanks

Jul 7th, 2001, 06:13 AM
Debbie

Sarah:
I dont know anything about your hotel as we cruised to Barcelona...the one comment I have is that I felt very uncomfortable on Las Ramblas...it was a great street to walk down, alot of people, alot of constant action...but I felt "on guard" always looking over my shoulder. I came home and told people it was like a very "seedy" Champs Elyssee. I held onto my purse and kids very tightly...!

Jul 7th, 2001, 07:13 AM
mbb

We just returned from Barcelona and although I am unsure which part of Las Ramblas you are referring to we walked quite a bit of it. I am almost embarrassed to admit that I wanted to skip Barcelona and Madrid because of all of the things I read on this board. It would have been a mistake. Because I had read so much I always felt on guard, particularly on Las Ramblas. However, one of the neatest experiences for me was walking down little side streets alone with no tourists in site to take our clothes to the laundry where two women washed, dried and folded our clothes for about $8.00 in one hour.

Jul 7th, 2001, 07:27 AM
sarah

Thanks for the replies.
The hotel is one of the Fodor recommendations, 138 La Ramblas.
I guess it's the same as anywhere keep your wits about you!!!

Jul 7th, 2001, 11:34 AM
e

We just returned from Barcelona last week. We LOVED Las Ramblas and NEVER felt unsafe at all.

Jul 7th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Lesley

The top end of the Ramblas is fine, but the Ramblas itself is a magnet for pickpockets. Just keep your wits about you and your money in a safe place. Towards the bottom of the Ramblas, I would be very careful of diving off into the small side streets. South of the Plaza Real, it can be a bit threatening and in the Barri Xino on the other side, is a red light area, but the top end where you are, no problems.

Jul 8th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Michele

Sarah,

You need not be overly concerned by what you've read about Barcelona. Las Ramblas is a lovely area. Two years ago I stayed at the Duques de Bergara which is also at the top of Las Ramblas (near Plaza Catalunya) and found it to be a convenient and very nice area. Exercising caution anywhere you travel is advised, particularly wherever crowds gather. Just be sensible, be aware and have a great time! Barcelona is a magnificent city.