Reload this Page >

Barcelona or Tuscany?

Search

Barcelona or Tuscany?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:15 AM
Ryan

Barcelona or Tuscany?

I'm planning a honeymoon for early June 2002 and am torn between these two areas. I've been to Florence and have always wanted to exlpore the Tuscan country side. But, Spain is unchartered territory for both of us and we are very intrigued by Barcelona, the surrounding areas along the Med coast, and possibly the Balearic Islands. We are not looking for a typical honeymoon vacation in a resort, but instead something that offers a great experience of a foreign land with lots to explore and a fun nightlife. We are definitely looking for a villa to rent as well. Your opinions are appreciated.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 07:38 AM
Julie

You'll have some trouble finding a villa in Barcelona but I recommend it highly. It's a wonderful city with lots to do, some of the most beautiful and exotic architecture extant, and I could guess a great nightlife for young people. Deciding between the two areas is more a decision about what kind of people you are than which is better. I've not yet done much of Tuscan (going again this Fall but have only been once before for a short time) but I found it beautiful and relaxing. I found Barcelona exciting and invigorating. We went to the sparkling wine caves outside the city and to the Monestary at Montserrat for a day trip beside spending 4 days or so in the city itself. I consider it like Paris, a place you can go and stay for a week or more and not get bored and never feel like you've seen it all. There are more recommendations on this site for Tuscany than I can count so you can view them for yourself. Decide what kind of environment and experience appeals most to you and go. By the way, if you're a foodie at all, consider renting a car and driving to Rosas on the Costa Brava outside Barcelona (if that's what you choose) spending a day or two and getting an advance reservation at El Bulli restaurant where the current "best chef in the world" holds forth doing dinners of 5+ hours with new food ideas that push the envelope over the top.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 08:03 AM
Ryan

Thanks for the tips! Food is actually a major driving force (especially for me) in our decision. Hearing more about Barcelona helps too.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 09:43 AM
shari

Barcelona is wonderful- high energy city that is beautiful, tons of art and architecture and fabulous food options. Great restaurants at all levels are available, and because it is close to France you get a lot of French influence and options in the cuisine. There is late night activity if you want. Tuscany is probably a "more laid back" experience. I vote for Barcelona!

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 09:48 AM
Dawn

I have never been to Barcelon so I can't comment on it, but my husband is from Tuscany and have spent alot of time there. The food and wine experience is incredible, and if you know the right places, not expensive. Nightlife, well, unless you go into Forte dei Marmi and go to some of the famous discos, I have no other experience in nightlife. The Tuscan countryside is very romantic and there are tons of things to do. You can rent a villa or a suite in a villa, with many price ranges from luxurious to very simple.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 05:00 AM
erica

Check out the slowtrav.com website for all things Italy, primarily Tuscany. You'll find plenty of villa options reviewed and listed and a great board for questions and trip planning.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 08:48 PM
concerned

Tuscany

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 10:15 PM
Roger Johnson

Congrats, Ryan, on your upcoming wedding! <BR> <BR>You're considering two of my favorite cities for your honeymoon: Barcelona and Florence. I agree with most of the messages posted here: The two cities you mention are completely different speeds. Barcelona, which I've visited twice, is a bustling city with a unique flavor (all those signs in Catalan!) -- fantastic nightlife, fascinating architecture, beautiful Spanish coastline. I visited Florence last spring and completely fell in love with it, and hope to see more of Tuscany next spring. However, as beautiful as Florence is, it's small and creeps along at slow speed at night, more like Seville or Granada in Spain's Andalucia. <BR>I'd choose Barcelona!!! <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 05:40 AM
Doris

Ryan said he wanted to explore Tuscany, that he had been to Florence. So, I'm not sure why the last poster is comparing Barcelona to Florence. I've had friends go to Barcelona and though they loved it, they were very concerned about crime. The Tuscan countryside is spectacular, can't say much for nightlife, but there are many wonderful things to do during the day.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Melodie

Hi Ryan, <BR> <BR>I can think of nowhere more romantic than Tuscany (or Umbria or Venice for a honeymoon. But to compare a big city like Barcelona with Tuscany is like "apples and oranges". Barcelona would be more vibrant, exciting, lots of things to do in the city, and Tuscany would be more like a "home base" with day trips and romantic evenings, low key. <BR> <BR>Melodie <BR>