Reload this Page >

Italy 30 Years Later

Search

Italy 30 Years Later

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 07:51 PM
Deive

Italy 30 Years Later

Hello my friends, This may be an odd question, but it certainly does not hurt to ask. We are going to Italy (2 weeks in Naples/Amalfi)mid Sept for our 30th anniversary, our first trip back since our honeymoon. It will be a liesurely trip that will be a combo trip 'back memory lane' as well as a chance to spend quality time exploring areas we only breezed through the first time around. I realize one can never 'go back', but I fear that we will only find tourists and tourist kitch everywhere, and that anything quaint will only be a memory. The difficulty I had in prebooking accomodations was really a turn off. (My fault, I thought Sept would be an easy travel month - What an idiot!) We are very much looking forward to this trip, but want to make sure we go with the right mindset. What do you lovers of Italy think? Can we still make this a romantic get away, or should we just presume we will just become part of the teaming hoards of tourists I envision? Ciao, Grazie....

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 08:06 PM
one of the

Well Deive, <BR> It will be what YOU make it. I doubt anyone who travels wants to be considered one of "the teeming hordes of tourists" any more than you do. You are correct need a better frame of mind before you go. <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:55 AM
sandi

Not only is your state of mind going to make or break your trip but also the place in which you choose to stay. Find that small, "out-of-way" place instead of staying in the heart of Naples (or wherever). I believe someone can find whatever "scene" they're looking for. You just need to know where to look.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Book Chick

Hi Deive, <BR>I agree with the previous posters. You might not be able to go back on this trip to where you honeymooned. That doesn't necessarily mean you should scrap the trip entirely; it's up to you. Is it possible in the future (perhaps on one of your next birthdays, or your spouse's, o r on another anniversary) that if you have your heart set on re-visiting your honeymoon city/locale, you could do it then? Italy does have its charms, & if you want to discover them this September, it certainly is possible to make new memories. Only you & your spouse can decide what you want to do. <BR>Best Wishes in Any Event, <BR>BC

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 07:33 AM
xxx

1. You'll find Italy's economy much better, healthier than when you first visited. Still a week economy in the 60s/70s, I can recall more motor scooters and motorcycles than cars ... most of which were microscopic Fiat Cinquecentos. <BR> <BR>Italy now has, I think, the fastest-growing economy in Europe. Cars long ago replace the Motoguzzis and Vespas, though in the last few years the bikes and cycles have come back as well, adding to the unbelievable street congestion and noise when sitting at a sidewalk table on many piazzas. <BR> <BR>You'll find city denizens dressed as well or better than equivalent wherever you come from, pedestrians, drivers and cyclists alike with an average of 1.1 cellphones to their ears. About the only things that haven't changed? <BR>a. TV is still the same old talking heads and lame game shows; <BR>b. The food is as wonderful as ever. <BR>c. The pickpockets are just as skillful. <BR> <BR>2. There are 50 million (or so) Italians, so those reports that you'll find nothing but tourists are just a bit exaggerated. <BR> <BR>Don't want to find any tourists? Go somewhere where no one else wants to go. Otherwise recognize that others among us want to enjoy the most scenic, serene and peaceful spots just as much as you and I, and they have equal rights to enjoy them. Resign yourself to sharing with others. Which your Mommy probably tried to teach you several years ago. <BR> <BR>Italy has changed some, just as I've gotten wider and with less hair. But, at heart, it, and Italians, are still the same, wonderful country and people they were 30 years ago, or 40, or 400.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 08:04 AM
Sue

Hi, <BR> <BR>I was in Italy 35 years ago, 7 years ago and this past summer. The beauty has not changed at all. The people, aritecture, art, and food continue to be fabulous. The country is much cleaner and the bathroom situation diffintely improved. The issue is the crowds. You could not walk in Capri. I would not return there in Sept., maybe Nov. There was always a crowd at the Fountain of Trevi. I remember going there at any time and there would be 10 people at the most. But, the fountain is cleaned up and as beutiful as ever. Try Ravello. There were not as many people there. It was quiet and beautiful. The crowds make it different, but Italy is still fabulous. <BR> <BR>Have fun.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Deive

THANK YOU ALL for very sage advice! We can hardly wait for this trip and the many new memories and friends we hope to make. To not get bogged down into a croud mentality, our motto will be to 'just find the humor in it all'. Italy here we come. Ciao!

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Santa Chiara

I agree with Sue concerning Ravello. It's a perfect, quiet place with spectacular views, and the times I have been there (August and June), uncrowded. The only caveat is that you must have a car or plan to spend your evenings in Ravello. I made the mistake of eating in Ravello with plans to return to Amalfi after dinner. Unfortunately, the taxis stop running around 7 or 8 p.m. I am not sure when the buses stop, but they are sporadic at best. <BR> <BR>Have a great time.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 06:13 AM
carol

Deive, <BR> <BR>You are wise to prepare to find changes, especially on the Amalfi Coast. I returned there this May after an absence of 15 years and was shocked by the swarms of tourists and huge tour buses in Positano and Amalfi. Due to the evolution of the mass tourism business, the Amalfi Drive has been enlarged to accommodate the tour buses and their passengers. I can't blame the Italians for trying to take advantage of the rise in tourism, especially since given the state of the economy in Southern Italy, but it sure does make a difference in the atmosphere on this coast. I'm sure the scene changes drastically before and after the tour buses leave, and the Costiera returns to its beautiful, sleepy self. And Ravello also doesn't seem to be on the itineraries, which is great since it is such a gloriously beautiful place. As for Naples, I'd never been there before and completely fell in love with it. It's a beautiful, vibrant city with some of the best food I've ever eaten. I hope you're planning to spend some time there. Have a wonderful time.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Kathy

Actually, it's a great question. I was a student at the University of Bologna 30 years ago. I lived in Italy for 1 1/2 years. It was one of the best experiences of my life. At that time, it seemed the only tourists were Americans and Germans. Probably the only ones who could afford to travel. There were virtually no crowds anywhere. I went back with my husband four years ago during spring break (unaware when I booked the trip that the break didn't coincide with any holiday.) The crowds were horrific!! The people in the large cities, Rome, Florence, etc. were rude and short tempered. I even speak Italian, and they seemed aggravated by that. I asked a bartender at our hotel "What has happened to the Italy I knew"? He said they are tired, over-worked, under-paid, and have had it with the tourists". I was disappointed and hurt. Has it stopped me from returning? Absolutely not! My husband and I are going to Positano in October for a week to celebrate our 20th anniversary, and I am looking forward to the scencery, people, food, and everything I loved about Italy to begin with. You can count on the crowds: times change, people change, and maybe you can't go home, but you sure can create new, fun, exciting memories. I can't wait! <BR> <BR>Go and have a great time, and take it all in stride. <BR> <BR>Kathy <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 07:44 PM
deive

Thank you for additional insight. AsI listen to all your thoughts on the subject I think we planned well by starting out in Naples(4 days) which I think will be very exciting, followed by Amalfi coast(5 days), and ending in Gaeta(3 days)where we lived for 3 years 30 years ago. I envision the biggest tourist crush will be on the Amalfi coast, but given the slow pace we allowed for ourselves here, assuming we skip a day trip to Capri, we shouldn't really be bothered by it all. All in all, I envision a relaxing time in Gaeta which I do not think is a big tourist draw. <BR> <BR>This trip will definitely be different than 30 years ago. Back then we accidentally stumbled upon the Palio in Sienna (I'll never forget the blessing of the horses in the churches) , pleasantly camped on a pine scented beach near Paestum I can still recall teh scent), meandered through the Lake region without advance reservations anywhere, saw the Pieta without a plexiglass shield in front of it, had an audience with the Pope and actually thouched his ring, climbed Vesuvius without ANY other tourists, etc... This September we'll create new memories, and when we are 80 thirty years from now, will wonder about the good old days of 2001! Ciao