Barcelona or Lloret de Mar

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm heading to Catalunya for 8 days in early September...and the original plan was to spend 3 days in Barcelona and 5 in Lloret de Mar - relaxing and taking a trip to Girona and Figueres....but now I'm rethinking the whole LLoret de Mar idea. Since the central part of my trip is Barcelona, would it make more sence to just spend 8 days in the city, and go to the beach in Barcelona to relax whenever I felt like it, or maybe take a day trip to LLoret de Mar, or Sitges? Without having to relocate to Lloret de Mar all-together? Any suggestions are appreciated!!
Serge
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:35 AM

I haven't been to Lloret but have a bad impression of it : it was one of the places developed for cheap mass package tourism in the 1970s.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:59 AM

I just read what you wrote a few weeks ago and it sounds like you are now wanting to weight it to more time in BCN. Understandable.

BCN as a city does have a beach but is not a place to go for beach relaxing unless you get a place right on the water. Even then, the beaches are really full (though not as much in early September).

If you don't want to relocate, staying in BCN is a good idea, but I think that splitting between 2 places is a good idea, especially if you want to go to Girona and Figueres. Cadaqués ia beautiful and relaxing beach location, and not nearly as developed as Lloret. Perhaps you could stay there for 3 days and get what you are looking for?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Never been to LLoret, but to judge by the number of pages it gets in the average British travel agent's brochure, I'm in a minority. If you are hiring a car, you'll be able to go where you like; if not, why not train it to Bilbao, or even Madrid, if you get fed-up with B'lona. Good luck!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Well def no Madrid, and Bilbao...this trip is to Catalunya..so I'm sticking to it..BUT..I can always get to Girona or Figueres from Barcelona. I'm sure I can rent a car for a day or even take a tour...is it really that much closer from LLoret?
Regards Cadaques...it just feels soo far away from everything..LLoret just seemed like a closer option...if I stay in Barcelona the whole time, I have the advantage of going to the beach any day I like, and going to any beach I like...Sitges, LLoret, Taragona..even if not IN Barcelona proper, and if I stay in Barcelona I save a bunch of $$ on the car, since I see no reason for having a car in a city....
laclaire, what do you think?
Serge