Barcelona-Madrid // Estrella night train

May 27th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Barcelona-Madrid // Estrella night train

Hi everybody,
I need to go from Barcelona to Madrid for a day (Friday, June 4), and should be in central Madrid at 9am.
I already found out that the first direct AVE train will (almost) make it - but another option would be the Estrella night train, arriving Pta de Atocha at 7.20am.
But: While I was able to look up the fares for the night train (quite cheap, actually), I did not see any information if that train has real sleeper cars (e.g. cabins for one or two people) or just regular seated cars.
So far I guessed from the fare quotes that the train might have regular seats (in turista and preferente), and something that could be a shared compartment with 4 couchettes (litera?). But no fare/quote for cabins for single use.
Has anyone more info on this matter?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
May 27th, 2010, 07:18 AM

I don't know anyone who uses the night train anymore. It makes a dozen stops before finally reaching Madrid. There are seats and compartments, Turista (seats), Preferente (seats) & Litera (shared compartment with 6 bunks - men, women, whatever). If you want the compartment by yourself, you'll have to purchase all of the bunks.

Air Europa ($56) and Vueling ($69) both have 07:00 flights on the morning of the 4th that will get you to Madrid at 08:15.

Air Europa Lineas Aereas, S.A. Flight UX2152
Vueling Airlines Flight VY1001
May 27th, 2010, 07:26 AM

Believe me Cowboy1968, you don't want to do a night train.

I did a night train from Rome to Paris and have regretted the decision.

Take the airplane.
May 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. Will check the airlines, though I probably end up with the AVE at 6.30 since my hotel is 2min walking distance from Sants. So catching that train will probably be less effort than going out to the airport.
May 29th, 2010, 05:31 PM

Very much concur on the night train--it's a circle of hell if you don't have a sleeper and not worth it pricewise if you do. The AVE is great and well worth it--much more convenient than a plane (and actually quicker) if you are going from centro Barca to centro Madrid.