COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Barcelona itierary help

Old Oct 18th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Barcelona itierary help

Hello all

My husband and I will be spending three nights in Barcelona. With all I want to see, I'm having difficulty trying to fit it all in. We will be flying to BCN from Granada on a Friday afternoon approx 1:30 staying at the Pultizer Hotel.

I have my itinerary divided by sections -

Barri Gotic, El Born areas one day

L'Eixample one day (Sagrada Familia, Casa Mila, Casa Battlo, Passeig de Gracia).

Southern area (by Bus Touristio) one day. would like to get off and see Poble Espayol and Port Vell.

Which gets half a day (friday)? And how can I fit in Barcolenetta?

We leave on Thursday !!!! thank you (again!)
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Poble espanyol is Catalan for Pueblo español and is not worth the time. It is somewhat hokey and lame.

Barcelonetta, Port Vell, and Barri Gothic are all within walking distance of one another.

Skip the hop on bus and get a good map of the city and replan your visit. Also think of a trip by public transportation to Tibidabo.
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

I read about Pueblo Espanol in one of my guidebooks and it sounded interesting, however I haven't read much about it from other posters. I'll skip it- however I thought the bus was a good way to see the southern part of Barcelona.
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 07:41 AM

Hi; If you are using a Visa ATM card anywhere in Spain, check with your bank. We have two Visa ATM cards and we received a letter yesterday [the 17th] from the two banks, that our 'cards' may have been comprimised. They will issue new ATM cards in the next week. Richard P.S. You probably know this, but you/everyone should always let your bank know what country and the time frame in that country, where the ATM card/cards will be in use
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 07:58 AM

My husband, son and I were there for three nights this past June. We found Bus Turistic to be a wonderful way to see a lot when you have little time. Things are very spread out and it's very difficult to see as much in a short time any other way. Not to mention that it's a very well done hop on/hop off. If you're interested, I gave quite a bit of detail on our impressions/experience with it in my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-barcelona.cfm

I also strongly suggest that you take a look at Maribel's very helpful guide:

http://www.maribelsguides.com/

Have fun, it's a great city!
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 08:15 AM

hi sashiez,

if you click on my screename, you'll see my [almost finished] trip report on our recent 3 night trip to Barcelona. in 2 1/2 days you can see quite a lot - we certainly did.

have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi all

Thanks Iris, yes I contacted my credit card companies and banks.

Ann and Cap- I read both your reports and enjoyed them very much. Ann waiting for Day 3! It was your reports that made me decide to take the hop on/hop off. However, people pushing to get on certainly is a turn off.

My plan now is to take the southern route on the day we arrive. How long does this route take? I think we would probably be enroute 4PM. too late? This way, I would have all day Saturday for El born, barri gotic and Sunday for L'exiample area.

I have Maribel's guide printed out. I find her Barcelona's restaurant recommendations extremely helpful. I knew my husband and I would never be able to do late night dining, and her suggestions for tapas and early dining was great.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 05:44 AM

Make sure that you get to the Palau Musica Catalonia

http://www.palaumusica.org/

They do guided tours. The one we went on was and English one, but as there were quite a lot of French speakers, the Spanish guide did a spectacular job of flipping between English and French the whole way round! He was really enthusiastic about the place...it's an amazing building and near the Bari Gotic area.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 07:17 AM

If I recall correctly, the Blue Route took a couple of hours. At the time of year we were there, the buses ran until 8:00 or 8:30. I don't know about this time of year. Or how early it gets dark. But my guess is that if you get on around 4:00, you should be okay. And I'm also guessing the buses won't be very crowded at that point.

My one reservation about doing it that way is you're not going to get as much for your money. We pretty much used it as transportation as well as touring. Starting that late in the day, you're not really going to be able to do that. But you have to do what fits in your schedule.