Barcelona in April

Search

Barcelona in April

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona in April

DH and I are planning to spend about a week in Barcelona in April and I have many questions that I would love help with.
We are mid 60's, love museums, shopping, cafe-sitting and people watching, theater. I have some knee problems that make hills and steps difficult but can manage most places with a cane and taking taxis, busses, metro etc when necessary.
Is Barcelona a difficult city to navigate? Is the public transportations accesible for someone with problems walking?
What is the weather like in April?
Are there places outside the city for interesting day trips?
Is a week too long?
We have Starwood points so would stay at the Le Meridien in the center of town or the W that is on the beach. Any input on either hotel?

Thanks
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 08:05 AM

A week makes a great stay in Barcelona - I would check another site for weather averages but I would think it would be spring like - Barcelona is not as hot as other parts of Spain.

The bus and metro systems are excellent and taxis are easy to get and reasonable as well - I have never been ripped off by a taxi driver in Barcelona - can't say that about alot of cities! The metro is usually accessed by escalators - please be aware tho that there are many "tricky" folks doing "business" in the metro system and they do not hesitate to target elderly toursits. Do NOT take all your valuables along with you when you are out and about.

I don't know the specific hotels but the center of town beats the beach IMO. It will be pleasant to go down to the beach / port area while you are there but being more in the center will be better for most of the sights.

Day trips - Figueres? Girona? Monseratte I would think might have alot of steps / walking, have not been there.

A walk in Barcelona in April will be a very pleasant vacation - enjoy!
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 09:30 AM

Monsarrat has a cable car to assend to the site, Probably you should be able to do it ok. A nice day trip. The city of Barcelona would probably be a good choice rather than travelling in and out from the beach. Cabs would be better than pub. trans. Most of the old city is flat and very walkable. Heed the advise of suec1..the bad guys/gals are very skilled.
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 10:06 AM

I'm planning my first trip to Barcelona for next April. It seems a good time weather wise - I checked a 20 year average and it should be warm but not hot.

I have a list of 28 sights to see and I'm wondering if 8 days is not enough - LOL. Some of the places will take several hours but some will be quick. I also have 1 day allocated to Montserrat so 7 days will be in Barcelona proper.

Maybe we'll run into each other!
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 10:29 AM

The W is off on its own somewhere at the port. It may have great views and be a top-end hotel as W hotels are, but it is not convenient to public transport and would require you to walk a good distance just to get to Port Vell. The closest Metro station is Barceloneta and it is about 1.2-1.4km away. Don't stay there if you have more central options.

From the port to Placa Catalunya and into Eixample, the city is not "hilly". Once past Casa Mila and further inland the city will have more hills. Going to Parc Guell would require you to take a taxi both to and from. Similarly, the Placa d'Espana area is flat but going toward Montjuic will be hilly.

The busier metro stations have elevators.
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 07:06 AM

You can safely tick off all of your concerns.

Other than Montjuic and the more inland sections toward Parc Guell, Barcelona is relatively level. Sidewalks are wide outside of the Barri Gotic (and crowded on La Rambla, though) and there are pedestrianized shopping streets in the Old City. The Liceu Metro station, about three blocks from the Meridien, has an elevator to street level. The hotel is about 1,000 feet from Placa Catalunya, the cathedral, the contemporary art museum and the Boqueria market.

As others have said, public transportation is excellent and taxis are easy to find and reasonably priced.

The weather should be great, warm during the day, sweater at night.

You will find plenty to do, with many great museums, architecture (the tour of La Pedrera is fun; mostly elevator but some steps to reach the rooftop with its fascinating chimney caps) and unlimited cafes and shops. We particularly enjoy the Fondacio Joan Miro; here's my blog post: http://tinyurl.com/8jw4mlb. You can take a taxi or bus, as it's on Montjuic.

Montserrat is a good and memorable day trip. You take a local train to the base of the mountain and then can transfer either to a different train or the cable car. You'd want to go on a clear day as the views are spectacular.