Barcelona-Hotel 1898

Search

Barcelona-Hotel 1898

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona-Hotel 1898

I will be going to Barcelona this winter and TripAdvisor gives Hotel 1898 great reviews-has anyone stayed there and liked it? If so-is it in a good location to walk to shops, sites etc but also safe to walk around at night? Any other good hotels to recommend in the 3 to 5 star range?
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 06:01 AM

I stayed in Hotel 1898 (my review is in Tripadvisor). Location is perfect. It's just off the Ramblas, and close to the Gothic Qtrs. (At night, most shops are closed inside the Gothic Qtrs, and it's actually pretty spooky...I don't recommend walking alone or if you don't know where you're going). You can walk to the Plaza Catalunya (3 min), or take the metro to anywhere (metro station just steps away).

I suggest checking out other recommended hotels for price comparison (do a search in this forum). When I was preparing for my trip, I came across a few hotels with good value and location, just that they were full during soccer week in March. Example: Hotel Jazz, Continental Palace, etc.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 07:17 AM

I just discovered this hotel a few weeks ago and really like it. I checked out a room for a friend's upcoming trip and think she will do it. The location is awesome (actually in the Raval, but in a nice plaza with 2 great bars and one fabulous coffee bar), and the amenities are great. Years ago (before it was even there), I gor robbed right at that plaza (which was yet to be a plaza), but now it is really cleaned up and nice. Still, though, at night avoid small dark streets.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info-I do not know Barcelona at all-just so I understand-this Hotel is in a safe area generally? Or is a another area of Barcelona better for 2 woman?
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Parisvisitor,
I haven't seen it, but I know it's a member of the Núñez Navarro hotel group. You can read more about it here
http://www.nnhotels.com/presentacion...esentation.php
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 11:39 AM

The hotel's location is safe. It's right on the Ramblas (a major street). The unsafe areas I was refering to are the dark narrow streets off to the side. Are you getting a good deal on this hotel?

Word of caution: Pick-pockets are everywhere, no matter where you are.

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

I think its a decent deal-its abt $250 or so a night depending on which month you go for a superior room-I just looked up Hotel Jazz which looks good as well and I am now confused-any comparisons? When is soccer week by the way? any other bad weeks to go in Feb or March-we are now thinking we will go one of those months instead of in January b/c the airfare is crazy high in Jan
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 12:57 PM

In March 06 when I was there, it was the same time as a major soccer match (I think with UK Manchester). So it was a crazy weekend (in fact, there was a riot right on the Ramblas outside the hotel). I don't know if it happens every year or not. You'll know when you start booking hotels, they'll be full everywhere.

You can't go wrong with either of these hotels, or others recommended by fodorites. Just decide what you want to spend, and if 250 is your budget, then 1898 is an excellent choice.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 02:42 PM

We just came back last week and stayed at Hotel Jazz. We paid 210 euro a night. The location is great, free internet, skip the breakfast at 14 euro, a few blocks to the Ramblas and Plaza Catalunya. Streets are wide, you can walk to many shops and department stores. Listen to Laclaire and don't wear a purse.