Barcelona "highlights" ?????????

Dec 22nd, 2005, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Barcelona "highlights" ?????????

I am working on the research for various "Tous" - I not really heavy duty art or museum people - while in Barcelona want to be able to see the "highlights" and do a little shopping.

Please Help????????????????????????????????

THANKS
Dec 22nd, 2005, 09:28 AM

The Gaudi buildings, especially the cathedral, for sure.
Dec 22nd, 2005, 09:30 AM

You can download a copy of Maribel's Guide to Barcelona (http://maribelsguides.com) to get started with your research.

Other sites to check are "Turisme de Barcelona (http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/) and "Barcelona Travel Guide" (http://www.aboutbarcelona.com/).
Dec 22nd, 2005, 10:24 AM

without liking museums or art this city is a toughie to me. you like architecture? then all the gaudi will make your head spin. maybe see the olympic village? montjuic and the magic fountains? Gothic quarter?
Dec 22nd, 2005, 01:22 PM

There is also something called the ruta di modernisma which takes you round Gaudi and some of the other Modernist sites. I have a copy if you want to email it to me.
Dec 22nd, 2005, 01:38 PM

Just walking up and down the Ramblas with its carnival midway atmosphere is a treat. The buskers, the peopl-watching, the merchants selling everything from T-shirts to live chinchillas - it's a multisensory overload.
Also, make sure you stop in at La Boqueria, which is the most fantastic food market in Europe.
The Gothic Quarter is just fun to walk through with its 500-year-old buildings (Even though you'll find Foot Lockers and Burger Kings on the ground floor!)
I'm not big on museums either, but I do like architecture. The amazing architecture of the Eixample district will grab anyone. Be sure to go up the Sagrada Familia for great views of the city, the harbor and the mountains, and up to the top of Casa Mila.
Dec 22nd, 2005, 02:56 PM
oaklandlady

We ejoyed going up Montjuic to the Miro Museum, which has, of course, many Miros, but also work by other artists near the entry. The building is a beautiful modern structure by a Barcelona architect, Sert, I think. I liked it much better than the Meier MACBA. After the museum you can ride in a suspended bucket up to the top where there's an old fortress with endless views.
There is also a municipal museum off the Placa San Jaume (I think) which shows the layers underground of Barcelona, from before Roman times.

Dec 23rd, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks
Dec 23rd, 2005, 08:59 AM

I agree about the food market on the Ramblas--fantastic.
Dec 23rd, 2005, 06:33 PM

The Palau de Música Catalana is gorgeous! And La Sagrada Familia is not to be missed. I loved the architecture in Barcelona.

I enjoyed seeing the Sardana, the Catalan national dance, which takes place in front of the cathedral most Sundays at noon or in the Placa de Sant Jaume most Sundays at 6:00 or 6:30. Local drop in, put their belongings in the middle of the circle, join hands and dance.
Dec 25th, 2005, 03:38 PM

I, too, often yawn my way through art museums...but I though Barcelona was the absolute BOMB!! Agree with the other posters who mentioned Palau de la Musica, La Bouqueria, and La Sagrada Familia, as ANYTHING else by Gaudi, is wondrous to behold (don't miss Parc Guell). I'm attaching a link to my review of Barcelona already posted on epinions.com, as I could go on and on. It's a wonderful, vibrant city...have fun!

http://www.epinions.com/content_141018828420
Dec 28th, 2005, 12:48 PM

These highlights look good-I'm marking this for more careful reading and a look at Polly's site.
Dec 31st, 2005, 03:03 AM

Take a blue tram and get to the funicular to Tibidabo mountain. Great view to catalan metropolis. During the winter funicular /cable car/ is operatin only on weekends but theres also other funicular line on the other side of city much used by locals. In this case you can walk to the top,but great view on the way, not only city but also catlaonian countryside