Search

Barcelona- Eixample or El Born?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona- Eixample or El Born?

Hi:

I am looking for advice re. neighborhood to stay in during our 13 day visit in Barcelona planned for mid September. I am considering Eixample and El Born. I have the following questions: which neighborhood out of these two is livelier and safer in the evening/at night? Which one has better public transportation? I am looking at a rental someplace near Plaza Espanya and Carrer Tarragona. How far away is this area from El Born (walking) and is it safe to walk at night between these two areas? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 06:27 PM

13 days? You must be intent on exploring every nook and cranny of the city.

Now as far as where to stay, Plaça Espanya is a little further out than I would consider, a good 40-minute walk from El Born, but not what I would consider unsafe for walking at night. You can always take a bus.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 08:54 PM

Espanya is not that central ...If you can stay closer to Placa Catalunya , you could be in El Born in
10minutes.
Public transit in Barcelona is very good.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 08:55 PM

Ps
Eixample is a sizable area...
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. We plan to take day trips for 4-5 days, possibly by train. I am considering reserving an apartment through Airbnb and one doesn't get the exact address until the reservation is made.. I am not sure if I understand which of the two neighborhoods would be safer, more fun, etc. I don't have to walk from one to the other, I was just trying to better understand distances. We are 66 years old and do not plan to be out all night doing bar hopping. So maybe that can help with providing some advise re. which area out of the two to pick. Thanks.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 11:22 PM

I've had good experiences, renting apartments, but I like to see exactly where they're located, and look at the street view (Google man images) of the apartment buildings, before commiting. Especially for a 2-week rental. My husband and I are your age, and I enjoyed our apartment in the Barri Gotic, because I like being as central as possible. (We booked through www.habitatapartments.com)
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 01:29 AM

El Born is a medieval quarter, narrow streets, lots of tapas bars, restaurants, terraces, shops and generally a vibrant area. Eixample (meaning "extension) is new (19th and early 20th century). It's large, but the central area around Passeig de Gracia is modern and fashionalble.

I would consider both areas in general to be normal big city safe, people out and about long into the night in large parts of both districts.

About El Born: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...s/el-born.html

Eixample: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...barcelona.html
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 07:50 AM

I would not book an apt. Without knowing the address....
Visited Barcelona six times in the past.
If you can, stay closer to Passeig de Gracia and Placa Catalunya.
We also used Habitat several times.
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at Habitat (that I did not hear about before) and some apartments listed there. There is no address. Unless I am missing something, they also only show the neighborhood..... As result it is next to the impossible to specify or pick something close to Passeig de Gracia and Placa Catalunya ......
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 01:04 PM

If you click on the location of the listing you will get the street, more or less.
Also, you can email habitat and they will tell you.
If you post a few apt. posters who have visited Barcelona will give you an idea if the location is good.
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 01:15 PM

HerE is apt. on Pa de G.
http://www.habitatapartments.com/en/...e-gracia-a.htm

Click on location and you will get a good idea.
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 03:14 PM

As danon mentions, Habitat were fine about giving the exact address ... though, I did the LOCATION and SATELLITE discovery, first (look for the little "h" which shows the apartment). This gives you an idea of neighborhood, before getting down to actual address. Habitat were also helpful in suggesting one apartment, over another, based on how "light and airy" it was.
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the help. I sent a message to Habitat.
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:16 PM

Just back from Barcelona last week. Stayed in a Habitat Apartment on the corner of Passeig de Gracia and Gran Via des Corts Catalanes. This is 2 blocks north of Placa Catalunya on the first floor (one up from ground level) of a building (right above the Zara store on this corner).

http://www.habitatapartments.com/en/...cia-deluxe.htm

Apartment was in great condition, perfect for 2 people and in a great location for seeing the whole city. We walked most of the time, but there was a metro station right outside of the apartment building. Habitat was great to work with and the apartment looks just like the pictures on the website.

The area around the apartment was also great, with lots of restaurants and shopping. Never felt unsafe once while on this trip.
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

I am looking at www.airbnb.com/rooms/717710 and

http://www.habitatapartments.com/en/...kzNjgtNw%3D%3D

I'd appreciate any comments re. location. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 04:52 AM

I would like that area. In fact, I have stayed not too far from there, a bit closer to Paral•lel, though.
But that is a part of town, and especially the neighboring Raval, is one area which some find interesting, hip, lively, quirky - and others are more sceptical and less comfortable at night and find it a bit rough on the edges or even seedy.
For a first time visitor, who has not explored these areas to see in which group he/ she falls, I usually suggest to stay closer to Plaça Catalunya and Passeig de Gràcia, as mentioned by others.
Or in left Eixample but on the other side of Gran Via, which is further away (and therefore often a bit cheaper) from Plaça Catalunya but still very safe and worst-case a bit duller than what is just 2-3 blocks from Passeig de Gràcia.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 06:33 AM

El Raval is not the best place to be at night.
The exact location of the
airbnb is not clear to me....still away from the central area of the city.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 08:14 AM

P.s.
Actually , the street habitat is on seems o.k. ( google the street view)
One can walk up to Gran Via and avoid walking through the narrow streets of El Raval at night.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 11:18 AM

I prefer El Born or Gotic because it is medieval and ancient. Make sure your apartment is not next to a disco or a rowdy bar because on weekends they party all night long in certain areas and you might not sleep.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 11:51 AM

some of the narrow medieval streets of Gotic are rather uninviting place to be at night.
especially bellow Ferran.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -