barcelona - eixample

Search

barcelona - eixample

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2009, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
barcelona - eixample

friends have asked me for help plannng for barcelona 1 week trip starting feb 20th.
they have rented an apt. (Calle Arago 130) in eixample to be near dd studying at university.

could anyone recommend specific tapas bars nearby for them. some good restaurants - they plan to eat out for all meals? maybe a fun bar to go to at night?

they might like to attend ash wednesday services - is there a good choice for them to attend - either in eixample or anywhere in the city if the church is exceptional?

mom is interested in cathedrals/churchs for their architecture/art in general. suggestions on which are most interesting?

we've researched most of the ususal stuff. art/artists, major sites, day trips, even a football match. is there anything out of the norm you might suggest they see/do?

thanks so much for any and all help.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 07:41 AM

Have you read Maribel's Guide to Barcelona?
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

no robert i haven't. as i said just researching for friends. does maribel's guide offer a particular sort of info? i'm always up for a good read.
actually i'm more hoping for locals to suggest or those who have been recently.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 09:22 AM

My husband and I were in Barcelona several years ago--we went to Sunday Mass at the Cathedral in the city centre--as I recall, we walked from the location where we were staying in Eixample. They could probably check on the times of the services on Ash Wednesday--seems to me there was a posting on the outside of the cathedral as to the times of Masses,etc.

I don't know if they still do it, but later on, on Sunday morning (and this was during Lent) large groups gather in the square in front of the Cathedral and do folk dancing--either to recorded music or to a group which played. It was most interesting and I thought I was told that it was done every Sunday.

We loved Barcelona--but watch possessions. We could not figure out why the people who were in the circle doing the dances, kept putting their coats and other possessions on the stones in the center of the circle--we were told it was so they could keep their eyes on them--clever idea. We were "hit on" twice in B but to no avail, as we had heard about the ploys and were prepared to react.

Ciao. mhm
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 09:43 AM

I thought that Santa Maria del Mar was a beautiful church and was far most impressed by it than the cathedral. Read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_M...Mar_(Barcelona)
Definitely worth a visit whether or not your friends attend services there.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 10:46 AM

I agree with Maryanntex's recommendation.

It is a beautiful church with lovely stained glass. And it is situated in a nice area, with lots of resturants. After visiting the church I went for lunch to El Taller de Tapas down the street. Yummy!
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 11:16 AM

virginia,
Your friends' Aragó 130 apt. is located in the far left (Esquerra) Eixample, not in the "thick of things" of most guidebook recommended tapas bars/restaurants (I have none in my Barcelona guide), but I do have a couple of recommendations:

"Can Vallés", on Aragó 93
(btw Rocafort and Calàbria)
This is a very popular classic, been around since the 60s, that attracts a loyal neighborhood clientele and local politicians. They serve traditional catalán cuisine with a creative touch (steaks from Lugo, venison, risotto and raviolis filled with shrimp, hazlenut flan for dessert).
Open for lunch at 1:30, for dinner at 8:30.
Closed Sun. Must reserve
Phone: 93 226 06 67

For tapas in the neighborhood, "La Clara"
on Gran Vía 442 (btwn Rocafort and Entença)
handily open daily from 8 am until midnight.
Here's the NYtimes review-
http://tinyurl.com/am8mw6
www.restaurantlaclara.com

The apt. is a short walk (about 5 blocks) from Barcelona's best Iberian ham purveyors, the ham emporium extraordinaire, "Jamonísimo", on Provença 85, to the east. It has tables in the back for sampling.
Or speaking of Iberian ham, there's also
"El Rebost Ibéric"
on Rocafort 113, to their west, for ham tapas and wines.

7 blocks to the east in the "heart" of the Left Eixample, my favorite bistronomic (chef owned, creative but economical bistro)
"Ovic"
on Aribau 106 (near corner of Mallorca)
Again, must reserve, it's tiny but worth the walk!
Phone: 934 510 691

And close by, my favorite Basque pintxos (tapas) bar-
"Taktika Berri"
on Valençia 169,
which serves really great little creations that are made fresh, continually streaming out of the kitchen. Just take a spot at the bar and in Basque style, grab what looks good to you from the trays.
Closed Sat. night and all day Sun.
Opens at 1 for lunch and 8:30 for dinner.

For a church service on Ash Wednesday, I also recommend the beautiful Santa María del Mar in El Born. And there will be dancing of the sardana in front of the cathedral starting at noon.

Hope this helps.

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

thanks to all for recommendations. to maribel especially for the specific tapas/yummy ideas.
any more restaurant ideas will be appreciated.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:40 PM

further questions about area. mARIBEL IF YOU SEE THIS; APPRECIATE your reply. In may we are staying at:

The apartment address is Calle Valencia 366. It is almost at the
corner of Paseo San Juan and Calle Valencia (Passeig Sant Joan and
Carrer de Valencia, in Catalan), located in the beautiful district of
the Eixample

what do you think of this area. Barcelona apt finding has been a challenge.

thanks in advance anyone, Tania