Search

Barcelona Day Trips

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2019, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona Day Trips

Hello Everybody!

We are two families (9pax) going to Barcelona next February-20.

We are planning 2 day trips by car or train outside Barcelona. Since it's not beach season and we love mountain landscapes, green sceneries and small medieval villages we are looking to Besalu, Montserrat, Pals, Peratallada, Lloret del Mar, Tossa del Mar. From previous trips we already know Figueres and Cadaques.

How would you recommend me scheduling these or other places? Am I skipping andy place/village you would recommend me going?

Thank you all in advance for your help!
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 10:35 AM
kja

Originally Posted by aanro
How would you recommend me scheduling these or other places?
By checking opening / closing hours to make sure you can visit what you want to see and finding out when you can get reservations for places you want to see that are best reserved in advance, such as the Sagrada Familia and some other modernista sites in Barcelona.

Am I skipping any place/village you would recommend me going?
I'd consider Tarragona.
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you kja!

I will look in to Tarragona as you suggest.
But when I ask to help me schedule, what I am asking is how would you distribute those places between both days.
Thank you again!!
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 06:20 PM
kja

when I ask to help me schedule, what I am asking is how would you distribute those places between both days.
It depends on what you want to see and experience! I wouldn't have been able to see all the places you list in just two days. As I already suggested, I think you need to decide on your priorities, identify their opening / closing times, and plot them on a calendar, along with estimates of the time it will take to get from place to place -- which you can get from rome2rio.com. NONE of us can tell you how long you will want to spend at any location or whether you will want to start at the crack of dawn or take breaks or whatever. YOU need to do the research and make YOUR choices. I hope you realize that Fodorites are simply people who choose to provide input on our own time and without compensation -- we aren't travel agents who are here to plan your trip for you.

Good luck!
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 01:29 AM

<<how would you distribute those places between both days.>>

Up to you to figure that out. No one here has any clue what your group of 9 is interested in, and you've given very little useful information ("green sceneries and small medieval villages" describes at least half of Europe). Obviously you can't visit all the places you've mentioned, but you've got 9 people to weigh in on what the priorities are - the 9 people going on the trip, not anonymous travel board people - so figure it out for yourselves.
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 02:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sightseeing in February is limited by the daylight hours, which obviously are shorter at that time.. I'd always think that Montserrat is a must for at least half a day and you could couple that with a trip to San Sadurni D'Anoia where the Cava is made. You can arrange a trip to one of the wineries in the town (not a vineyard) to see the cellars and wine making process. My own favourite is Juve y Camps https://www.juveycamps.com/en/ That will take up a full day.

I'd also recommend Tossa as I love the old town there and you can have a very leisurely lunch in a lovely place.

For both of these, you'll have to leave early because of the daylight hours and daylight will have gone by 5pm or so.
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 02:59 AM

Day 1 Full day trip to Montserrat by train

Day 2 Drive to Besalu, Peratallada, Pals, Tossa de Mar. Lloret de Mar is a ghastly beach resort, better skip it. I think you should follow this route, starting with the farthest one(Besalu) and work your way back to Barcelona. You may well find that you won't have time to stop at all of these places even with an early start(Think about renting the cars in the evening and start at dawn from your hotel).
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 03:06 AM
kja

Originally Posted by BDKR
Lloret de Mar is a ghastly beach resort, better skip it..
But the Jardin de Santa Clotilde (in Lloret de Mar) is an absolutely glorious Mediterranean garden, WELL worth an hour or more, IMO.
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 03:34 AM

If the OP has the time left(I doubt it, unless they break down the 2nd day into a 2 day trip) I'd recommend to drive on a few miles to Blanes to see that botanic garden which is even better than in Lloret. On the other hand February is not really ideal for enjoying botanic gardens.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jard%C...ico_Marimurtra
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 07:47 AM

I currently live in Blanes, Gerona where the Costa Brava officialy begins. There are many beautiful small villages to enjoy around. Tossa, Cadaques...You can do several of them in one day, but you will need a car.