Barcelona Areobus - Question on Time to Eixample

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona Areobus - Question on Time to Eixample

Hi there,

I was looking at this Aerobus site: http://www.emt-amb.com/links/eng/ihome.htm

Would I be correct that it would take aprox. 50 minutes to get to Ave. Roma Urgell from the terminals?

Seems like a good price and pretty painless.

Thanks for any help, Eileen
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 02:57 PM
yk

Hmmm... Not really.

The Ave. Roma Urgell stop comes <b>after</b> Pl Catalunya, where 98% of the riders get off; and where 98% of new riders (to the airport) get on.

It's gonna take quite a bit longer.

In my experience, it is at least a good 10-15 min wait just to get on the Aerobus because it's a very long line. And when the bus arrives at Pl. Catalunya, I'd assume you'd be there for 30 minutes before it leaves Pl. Cataluyna for Ave. Roma Urgell.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Well that doesn't sound like a lot of fun. thanks yk.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 08:19 PM

I'm looking for transportation from the Barcelona airport. Is the Areobus the best way to get from the airport to a downtown hotel and then to the cruise dock? We have checked out a hotel near the airport and then the following day head for the cruise dock. What do you think is best...a downtown hotel or airport hotel and then downtown the next day? What is the approx cost for the bus? Thanks for any suggestions. Unfortunately, I have to make a decision in the next day.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Lyn44, From what posts I have been reading, and yk's answer above, the Areobus would probably not be the best way.

For me the best way will be to take a taxi.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:46 AM

I was pondering using the Aerobus, then I saw the INCREDIBLY long line when I passed by one day.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:47 AM
yk

Lyn44 - I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

You will be staying at an airport hotel for 1 night?

And then you'll be staying at a hotel in &quot;downtown&quot; for 1 night?

Then you're boarding the cruise ship?

Anyway, the Aerobus is an easy way to get from the airport to Pl. Cataluyna. There are plenty of hotels in Barcelona that are within walking distance from Pl. Catalunya.

The Aerobus is &euro;4,05 one-way (as of Feb 08).
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:48 AM
yk

There's usually a long line for the Aerobus (both at the airport and at Pl. Catalunya). But, the bus runs frequently, so basically one should not have to wait for more than 10-15 minutes to get on the bus.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Have they closed the suburban train line (cercania?) to the airport? I was there about 7 years ago and it was far more convenient way to get into the city than any bus.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:59 AM

ecat -- one option would be to take the Aerobus to Placa Catalunya, then take a taxi to where you need to go.

About the train to the airport -- it is still running, but right now (as of 3 days ago) the entrance is under construction. There is a shuttle bus from the terminal to the entrance to the train station. The shuttle and train combo was very slow, but to make up for it, they were not collecting tickets, so the ride all the way into the centre of barcelona was free.

All in all though, I think the aerobus is the easier option.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:24 AM

I would agree with either taking a taxi from the Pl. Catalunya to your hotel or getting one of the many hotels which are within easy walking distance of the Pl. Catalunya.

As to the trip to the cruise ship..even IF the ship is docked at the World Trade Center instead of the more usual spot, a taxi from the hotel to the cruise ship is the best bet IMO
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. We opted out of taking the cruise transfer pkg, so I am trying to make a plan to get from the airport to a downtown area hotel for only 1 night, then to the cruise ship for Holland America to start our cruise the following day. I'll take your suggestion for the Aerobus to Placa Catalunya and then a taxi to hotel. Any hotel suggestions for 4 ladies? Is the Eixample district close to the center? What about the Sercotel Amister Hotel? I sure appreciate your suggestions. Do you know anything about Venice cruise ship docks to the airport? Thanks!
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 06:25 AM
yk

Lyn- If you find a hotel near Pl Cataluyna (where there are plenty), you can easily walk from the Aerobus stop to your hotel. I recently stayed at Hotel Colon (which I didn't really like) but you can look at the sister hotel called Hotel Regenia Colon which is cheaper but in an excellent location. It'll be about a 7-min walk from the bus stop on level &amp; paved road.

Sercotel Amister Hotel is not very convenient to the sights. It is actually close to the area where ecat (the OP) was asking at the beginning of this thread. You'll need to take the subway to get around. But if it's a lot cheaper than other hotels closer to Pl Catalunya, and you're only there for 1 night, I guess it'll be okay.