Reload this Page >

Barcelona and Eastern Environs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Anthony

We are beginning to plan our 2002 vacation. We travel each year to France--Provence, Paris, etc. We have never traveled to Spain. <BR> <BR>Acquaintances have told us of Greek and Roman ruins near lovely little villages in eastern Spain, somewhere near Barcelona. <BR> <BR>Can anyone help with info on where this may be? We wish to stay reasonably near the French border since we plan to spend time in France thereafter. <BR> <BR>Any help you can give will be appreciated. <BR>

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Capo

Hi Anthony. There may be others, but the city near Barcelona that has Roman ruins that <I>I'm</I> aware of is Tarragona, which is south of Barcelona.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 02:47 PM
lynn

Hi Anthony: <BR>We have visited the roman and Greek ruins at Empuries a couple of times. It is located near L'escala and the tiny village of Sant Marti. The latter is a lovely place for lunch. The beach here is great too. This would take you about 1 1/2 hours perhaps from Barcelona, by car. It really is an amazing site. Founded by Greeks in the 6th century. With a roman site built on top. Very well sign posted and the information at the sites is in English as well as Spanish Catalan and others languages. There are also Iberian ruins near Empuries closer to Girona at Ullastret. <BR>Tarragona as the other poster mentioned, has great Roman ruins. <BR>We have done both this area and Provence and while you can't top the thrill you get on seeing the Pont duGard for the first time the sites in Spain are great too. <BR>If you want any further information on this area feel free to ask any questions you want. We have travelled to this area many times over the past 6 years. You'll love it. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR>Lynn

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 07:32 AM
Anthony

Lynn and Capo: <BR> <BR>Thanks-just the information I was looking for. We are francophiles. Provence is our annual vacation place. We plan to finish our 2002 vacation in St. Remy de Provence. The Autoroute A-9 goes right from Barcelona to Provence. <BR> <BR>By the way, the village of Collioure, near the Spanish border, is a fine little Frech village right on the Med. We have vacationed there twice. <BR> <BR>If I can be of any help please contact me.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 10:41 AM
Capo

You're welcome, Anthony. In return, thanks for your comment about Collioure. I'm familiar with it, and plan to see it on a future driving trip from Barcelona to Nice and beyond.