Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Frequent Flyer miles - who matches with whom?

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 09:51 PM
Beth Anderson

Hi all

For all the times I have been on an airplane, both domestically and internationally, I am ashamed to say I never signed up for a frequent flyer club. I think I may have signed up for United some time ago, but I don't even know my numbers and don't use them when I ever book flights.

Do you know how to find a comprehensive site which tells you who is affiliated with whom, or, do you just need to find out each time you buy a ticket?

and if someone DOES affiliate, how do you use them? Let's say I have Air Canada Miles and Sabena and IcelandAir and Lufthansa - and some of these will translate - how do I get them over to the one I want to use next?

thanks...

Beth

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 10:49 PM
Sjoerd

Most airlines now cooperate in alliances and there is no need for you to become a member of more than one frequent flyer program within one alliance. So for instance if you already have a United ff card, you can also accumulate miles on Air Canada, SAS, Lufthansa, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways International, Varig, bmi British Midland, Mexicana, Air New Zealand and a few others. ("Star alliance")
Delta cooperates with Korean, Air France, Aeromexico, Czech airlines and a few others in "Sky Team", etc., etc. Websites of the major airlines will give you information about their alliances.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Tina

oooooo -- shame on you Beth (just kidding !!!) -- you should make it a point to be a member of the major frequent flyer clubs for airline(s) that you predominantly use.

Aside from accumulating the miles themselves, I believe that you put yourself in a better position in the "airline hierarchy". They know who's a member of the club & who's not; consequently, when opportunity to bump someone up a class because the economy cattle car is full up, then you're more likely to be asked. Over my travels in past 10 years, I've had two occassions when this happened --- already on the plane & they came back to move me up front.

Now that more airlines are offering cheaper prices (5 to 10%) for purchasing tickets on-line, they also may offer their best deals to those who are a member of their club.

Each of the major American based carriers (United, American, Continental, Delta) has carved out their relationships with other overseas carriers, so that you can use your miles on one of their partners.
For example, I accumulate miles on American Airlines and also, Delta. I've flown to Italy twice using an accumulation of AA miles --- most recent trip was in May. When I contacted the FF desk, they found me an itinerary using partners of American, Sabena & Swissair (all a part of the One World Alliance group).

If you want to COMBINE miles from two carriers then it can get a bit tricky --- again, I'll use my American experience. I also have a smattering of miles on US Airways (used to be a partner with AA). When I talked with the FF desk about adding those to my American tally to reach the needed 40k, they had to check that the rules for both American & US Airways' programs were in synchronicity --- as it turned out, AA allowed a ticket to Europe on 40k until May 15th; whereas the US Airways mandated the 40k (low season amt) could only be used until April 30th --- and that's why I ended up opting for the Sabena/Swissair flights.

Bottom line to all of this --- check on an airlines websites to see who their partners are --- try to accumulate your miles on those carriers that are part of each other's club.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 06:37 AM
Dave

Tina -

My experience is that when you are standing at the ticket counter asking nicely for a free upgrade, just being a frequent flier club member does not help. Anyone else have experience with this?

Beth - never get on a plane without looking for FF points, although sometimes your ticket does not allow it. Call United and ask them for your numbers. You are probably in their system, and if not, sign up.

To anwer your question, go to <http://www.smarterliving.com/frequen...programs.html>. That will help.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Joanne

Beth:

Here's another URL for you:

http://www.webflyer.com

Joanne

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Annette

Go to all the airline websites and also do a search on your search engine under "frequent flier miles" (for websites concerning this subject)to help you decide which corporate scheme to cast your loyality with.

You might want to look into Airline Credit Card plans. In January we got a Alaska Airlines credit card and I now put everything from gas to grocery to a new computer on it, paying it monthly, of course. Believe me, those credit card mile points really add up. I also switched to a long distance phone company (Sprint) which gave me 5,000 miles and 5 miles per dollar spent on calls. Next I'll be into the cereal box points, I suppose.

I do my miles with Alaska Airlines. Their FF miles never expire. Alaska Airlines flies the West Coast of US and Mexico, so it suits me. Alaska partners with British Airways, Northwest Airlines, KLM, American, Quantas, Contintental, TWA and Lanchile. I'm like you were, Beth, and flew several times before I started tracking miles (mistake!).

Ultimately you are responsible for miles tracking, not the airlines: save your boarding pass or receipt for proof in case they do not award you, as happened to me last year (they did finally credit me with the mailed in proof) I'm NEW to this and have yet to use my miles and always look at this forum for tips on FF miles.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 10:37 AM
Diane

I have been collecting airline and hotel points for 15 years and have traveled many times on these earned tickets and had free hotel stays. I can't imagine traveling any other way any more (nor could I afford to). I use my personal credit cards for business travel and rack up points rather quickly. I also change my long distance carrier from time to time for points, and take advantage of other offers such as signing up with an on-line broker, filling out a questionnaire on-line, book airline tickets on-line, etc.

As far as how you are treated at the gate for upgrades, I fly primarily with United and am a premier member. Only once in all these years have I been given an upgrade even though I request one all the time. The answer is always the same -- how would I like to pay for it, with frequent flyer points or do I have upgrade coupons? I'd like to know if anyone out there has been fortunate enough to get an upgrade with United without giving something in return.

Another benefit to having frequent flyer points is the ability to upgrade at the time of booking. I know a lot of folks have complained about not being able to get the tickets they want/need. By purchasing a ticket and using points to upgrade you have the benefit of flying in business or first class and still collect points for the flight.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Mel

I like British Airways program because it works on a "family" basis. That is, my husband and daughter and I can pass miles back and forth to each other if needed. They also partner with America West (and many others) so I try to fly AW within the US and, when I'm ready, I can transfer the miles to BA.
One note: I am also a USAirway FF. Last September my hubby and I took a GoToday fly/drive package and they said we would not be able to get mileage credit (fares were VERY low). When we got to airport check-in I handed over my USAirway card and they credited me for the entire trip. Moral: Never hurts to try. Also, always present your FF card when checking in, even if the airline has taken the number when you booked. More than once it's turned out that the FF status wasn't noted with the reservation.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Mel

One more thing, Beth: If your last trip was within the last three months, go ahead and sign up for a FF card for the airline you took and ask them to credit your previous trip. USAirways & America West will do this and possibly others.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 12:18 PM
Thomas

Due to my job, I travel over 140,000 miles per year and belong to all FF programs. In my opinion, American Airlines is the best because they have the most/best European partners and allow stopovers in both Europe and USA as well as open jaws. Don't ever fly again without accumulating miles on an airline.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 12:30 PM
debbie

I JUST cashed in my BA points for 2 Clubworld (Business Class) tickets. It is such a thrill to have these tickets because we always fly coach. I am looking forward to the flight as much as the stay this time!!!

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 12:35 PM
Art

BETH, Shame on you!!!!

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Linda

Tina, and all, I tried to go to the Smarter Living site you cited--it has moved. The new web site is now http://www.smarterliving.com/ff/programs/

It is a wealth of informaition. Thanks, Tina.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 12:46 PM
JOdy

after you choose your airline make sure you get a credit card that gives mileage points. I use mine as a debit card, just subtracting all I spend , then when the bill comes I add it back into the total and pay off the credit card. even bought my car that, way!! Used the card then got a personal loan and paid off the credit card bill. You do have to have a big available line to do major things like that but fortunately i do. But even the daily purchases add up quickly, I don't pay cash for anything.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Tina

Dave:

Just to clarify --- I didn't ASK to get bumped up. On both occassions I already was on the plane, seated, and a flight attendant came back to ask if I'd move up front.

To this day, I'm not really sure how or why I got chosen for the honor. Of the more recent time when this happened (May-99) I was flying on a frequent flyer ticket --- British Airways from Rome to London. And like I said she came up to me, asked if I was traveling solo & bada-bing, there I was with the pleasure of a hot breakfast on REAL plates & flatware up in first class. And by the way, once you're up in the front of the plane, they all of a sudden know your name! Would you like another roll, Tina? Can I get you something to drink, Tina?

In the meantime, I keep praying to the travel gods & hope that lightening strikes again!

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Diane

Couple years ago I had a business trip to Puerto Rico (in January, tough job). My company paid for my economy class ticket, but I used miles so my husband could join me when the meeting was over and we could have a mini-vacation. Since it was high season, I had to get him a first class ticket (50k USAirways miles). But when we flew home and checked in, I very charmingly said: Aren't I a wonderful wife, letting my husband fly in first while I sit in back? They couldn't do anything at that time, but before boarding one of the desk persons came up and moved me up to first. Don't know that I would purposely plan it that way, but it worked terrific! We bought our tickets to Italy this year, but next year we will be able to use miles to visit England and Paris. Saving $ on airfare gives us an extra week we might not take!

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 02:02 PM
lisa

Beth -- Glad you are looking into this -- it is really worth doing!

Just to clarify something. The fact that two airlines are affiliated does not mean that they allow you to move frequent flier miles from one account to another (they don't). Nor does it mean that they will let you combine mileage on two separate carriers toward a ticket (most won't, although American and USAirways will still let you do this until Aug. 23 I believe). Rather, it means that if you fly on an affiliated airline, you can earn miles on one of its partners (whichever you choose).

I have recently been doing quite a bit of research into which airlines are the best on frequent flier miles. I accumulate most of my miles on USAirways, Northwest, and American. I have come to the conclusion that for me, American is the best for frequent flier miles. The reason is because they require fewer miles than most other airlines do for free tickets on many of the trips that I am working towards. For example, if I want to fly from the US to Australia or New Zealand, I need 80,000 miles on Northwest; 80,000 on USAirways; but only 60,000 on American (flying on Qantas). That is a huge difference to me. That's in coach by the way -- for business class, USAirways has the edge because it requires only 95,000 miles whereas American requires 105,000 and Northwest 110,000.

American requires 75,000 miles to go to Africa (flying on British Airways), whereas Northwest requires 80,000 (although if you want to fly business class, you can go on Northwest for 120,000 whereas American requires 150,000).

As another example, I can fly to Mexico for only 30,000 frequent flier miles on American, but USAirways and Northwest require 35,000.

Also, American has removed seats in coach and has more legroom than most other airlines in coach.

In addition, unlike other airlines, if you don't quite have enough miles in your account yet but know that you will and want to go ahead and make a reservation using your frequent flier miles, American will allow you to do that and hold the reservation for you while you earn the rest of your miles. This comes in very handy because you often have to make your reservations WAY in advance when using frequent flier miles.

My point is, it pays to shop around when it comes to using your frequent flier miles -- and choosing which airlines you want to accumulate them on. To see which airlines are affiliated with which, just go to the airline's website.
There are also some great consumer websites dealing with this. One is webflyer.com -- I believe they may be the "comprehensive website" you were referring to that lists things like all the various airline affiliations and policies. Another one that I use a lot is www.mileageworkshop.com -- they always have lots of extra ways to earn frequent flier miles, e.g., for switching your long distance service to another carrier (I earn 20,000 miles each year this way alone). I also agree with the poster above who recommended getting a credit card that earns frequent flier miles (as long as you pay it off every month; if not, it's not worth it, because the annual fees are higher than many other cards).

Good luck!

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Mel

Lisa: After reading your post above about not moving miles back & forth between carriers, I contacted America West and they confirmed that they DO allow combining miles on them with British Air since AW doesn't fly internationally. Tomorrow I'll check that with BA to make sure both give the same "story" since that's my game plan and I'm almost there!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 08:10 AM
lisa

I didn't know that BA & America West let you combine mileage (probably because I don't fly those carriers very often). That's good to know!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 10:43 AM
hcp

To echo something Lisa mentioned: until 8/23, you may combine miles on USAir and American for tix good until June 2002. Although by the 2 cents/mile rule, I "overpaid" on a recent flight to Chicago (20K miles v. $240 ticket), I probably would never have accumulated enough miles on American (barring significant time and trouble), to get any type of free tix. Instead, I got to transfer 14K+ miles, cleaning out the account. (And avoiding the double whammy of paying for a wedding gift and my transportation to the event all at the same time! Others in their 20's or 30's w/ farflung friends know my pain, I'm sure...)