Barcelona- a woman by herself- needs a safe, cheap hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of taking advantage of a ridiculously low airfare that I have found at the end of March. I admit to not having done too much of a search here as this idea just came to me and I'm headed to work soon!

This would be my 1st time traveling alone, in your experiences would I feel safe? I live/work in a big metro area so I am used to cities.

What cheap hotels (under 100E per night) would you recommend?
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:42 AM

Bnice - I'll be able to help you better in a few weeks. I am leaving next Friday for a 2 week trip to Spain, traveling solo, including 4 days in Barcelona.

If you look back at the end of February, I plan to write a trip report.

As an FYI, I am staying at Hostal Palacios, which is about 55 euros a night for a single, and it is about 2 blocks from Placa Catalunya. Some people on this board have stayed there and given it positive feedback, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Karen
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 04:36 AM

I stayed in Barcelona for a week last April, while I took a Spanish course. I'd recommend that you stay in the Eixample District, which is just north of the very popular Barri Gotic (which has lots of sights, restaurants, nightlife etc but also lots of thieves who prey on tourists). The Eixample District is more upscale, has great shopping and restaurants and many beautiful buildings (Guadi's) - and it's adjacent to the Barri Gotic. I stayed at the 3* Hotel Astoria (www.derbyhotels.es) in this neighbourhood, but about a 10 minute walk further north. Price was about 110 euros (but current rates show as 99-110). They also have a 3* Hotel Balmes a little further south. The Astoria was very attractive (limited services, no view) but was impressed with the room for a 3*. You should also check the Spanish NH hotel chain, but watch out for locations - some are in some dodgy neighbourhoods. You can't go wrong with a location in L'Eixample, though, if you want something central, safe, lively and attractive.

And if you wanted to do something enlightening, have you thought of enrolling in a one or two week Spanish class (e.g. at don Quijote)? Take classes in the morning, acquire a group of classmates to sightsee and check out the nightlife with and come home with a skill and friends you can visit (crash on the floors) in other European cities. The prices are relatively low, and you can often stay in the inexpensive student residences.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:31 PM

Hi Bnice,

I can't speak from the perspective of a solo female traveller in Barcelona (I was an accompanied male!) but I just wanted to echo Kate W's advice about staying in the Eixample - it would be a much better choice than, say, the Barri Gotic or Ramblas areas for all sorts of reasons.

My wife & I stayed at the Hostal Girona for 50 Euros per night & I would certainly recommend it - if you click on my name above you'll find my report. If you can wait, however, I think you'd be best to wait for Karen's report on the Hostal Palacios - it looks very nice on their website and is in a slightly more central location than the Girona.

Incidentally, Karen - If you read this, I've followed your postings with interest - have a great trip!

Jim
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:56 PM

Kaudrey, I will be waiting for your take on the Hostal. I really don't want to pay a high price to st stay a couple of nights in Barcelona. I would rather spend my money on other things!!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:14 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
This may sound weird, but for late March what about staying at the beach in Sitges, a very pleasant resort town about 30 minutes' commuter train ride from central Barcelona? Plenty of affordable places, quite safe, good restaurants, shops, and a great beach right in front of the hotel. We've had no problems accessing all the fun things in Barcelona, but without the hassle of congestion, crummy downtown hotels, noise and all that. FWIW, Sitges is big center on the gay map of western Europe, as well as being a popular family resort and weekend getaway spot. Check it out.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:19 PM

Stay at Aparthotel Silver...very safe and affordable....US 65/ in May..Has a kitchenette..not fancy, but just right. The subway is at the end of the street and takes you anywhere. I felt so safe there. The early breakfast is perfect, they have the best jam!!
www.hotelsilver.com
or
www.silverhotel.com
I forgot.

I promise.you'll love it!
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 07:26 AM

Jim - Yes, I am following this thread! Since I am leaving 1 week from today (YAY!!!!), I am trying to get any last minute tips.

This board has been so helpful in planning my trip - places to stay, eat, how to get around (I am doing everything - bus, train, car, and a flight from Granada to Barcelona). I have a whole folder full of information! I am armed and ready.

Bnice - I hope you decide to go!

Karen
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Palacios is supposed to be good. I'm taking a chance on a hostal that's not too well known but gets good reviews on Madridman.com. I think it's only lesser known because they don't do much advertising and don't use internet booking services. It's the Hostal Goya (hostalgoya.com) very close to Pl. Catalunya. Their web site shows nice rooms and one Madridman poster said they're "almost as nice as they look". They've been very responsive to my translated emails, which is a good sign, especially since I'm looking for a room during Barcelona's "Formula 1 Grand Prix" race weekend. Some of the rooms at Goya are cheaper and less nice than others. If you're not going peak times, you might want to search for bed and breakfasts. I found several that looked very nice and and they weren't expensive. I'm not quite sure what the difference between a B&B and hostal in Spain is, but.....

I'll try to remember to report back, but it won't be until after May 20.