Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barajas to Atocha.. again, but better this time!

May 12th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Just thought I would add that a friend has just done the "Barajas metro to Atocha route" with a slight variation the metro personnel told her to do.( If this variation has been posted, please forgive)

Take the metro to Nuevos Ministerios.
Get off there and change to the "Cercanias" trains. You need to buy a new ticket from the machine. It lists the most popular destinations first, and then you select "more destinations" and "Atcoha" comes up.

No more changes. In two stops you are at Atocha!
Very fast, direct, and a close second, or perhaps first, now, in my mind, for getting inexpensively to that seemingly far away train station.

P.S: I have not done this myself so am trusting the info I was just given. If it is not correct, locals, please advise.
May 12th, 2009, 07:53 AM

I will have to look at my Metro map to see how this works but if it does it is a good tip!
May 12th, 2009, 09:09 AM

That's the way I do it. Much better for me that taking the metro all the way.
May 12th, 2009, 10:36 AM

If you are heading straight to Atocha, it is the faster one. Only one stop (Recoletos), and the walk from the airport metro to the Cercanias is really short.

I think you can do it with a normal metro ticket and you don´t need to buy a Cercanías ticket. I should double-check that, because I can do it with my normal monthly metro ticket, and in that case you could buy your ticket at the airport and beat the queues in Nuevos Ministerios.

It is a very good option.

Cova
May 12th, 2009, 11:54 AM

Cova,
Can one really just use a metro ticket on the Cercanías? I didn't think so, but I've never tried it with my 10 ride metrobús. I've always just purchased a separate Cercanías ticket for 1.20. I buy it from the machines.

The Cercanías ride from N.M. to Atocha takes only 8 min.
May 12th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

My friend was told to purchase a cercanías ticket.
May 12th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Maribel, Lin, I can use my monthly ticket in the Cercanías, but I want to check just in case, because it could be really handy.

It might only work for those tickets, but I was convinced that the tourist ticket also covered the cercanías network (very handy for El Escorial or Aranjuez, for example).

OK, I have just checked at the CTM site, and I think that I have the answer
http://www.ctm-madrid.es/servlet/Cam...ioma?xh_TIPO=8
It covers Cercanias (Suburban train lines) as long as you have a pass for another zone than the A. A is the zone for Madrid, if your pass is valid for zone B1 to E, you can use the Cercanias included in your area and you can buy a suplement.

This is no good for visitors, because the only options they have is the tourist pass for zone A or the whole Madrid region (in this last case, it should be OK).

Bye !
Cova
May 12th, 2009, 02:41 PM

Thanks for checking, cova.
May 12th, 2009, 05:22 PM

I did this route a couple of years ago.
It was easy to find the station, go through the gates, and find the ticket machine.
I was tired from my overnight flight and had trouble finding Atocha--like you said I think I had to select "more destinations" and perhaps they read alphabetically across the machine and I was looking down the list.
I pathetically but politely asked someone else who was purchasing a ticket "Donde Atocha?" and she helped point it out on the machine.
There were several trains leaving at times close to each other, so it was just a matter of choosing among those platforms and riding down the escalator.
May 12th, 2009, 10:42 PM

Definetly you need to purchase a ticket for Cercanias, metro tickets are not valid. A monthly pass is a different pass, not for metro but also for cercanias, emt buses and regional buses as long as they are in the zone of your pass. This pass is of course mainly for residents. Tourists pass are the same but for a few days only.

Metro + cercanias is the fastest option, but have some disadventages
1-cercanias close at 23:30 while metro at 1:30am

2-cercanias have a different navigation than metro, if you are not used to metro and cercanias, don't speak spanish and you are in madrid for the first time you may find a bit stressing to change from metro to cercanias and find the right train.
In cercanias trains share the tracks, not as metro where every line use their own tracks.
In cercanias you must pay attention to the destination of the train, but normally every train stopping at NM heading to Atocha have also stop at Atocha.

3-Now there are two different tunnels heading to Atocha.
Old tunnel have stop at Recoletos
New tunnel will have stop at Sol (when this station opens presumibly this summer), currently the tunnel is working but not the station
Both have the same destiantion, Atocha.
I haven't cheked myself if they have different platforms at NM, so you will have to look which trains leave first to Atocha and from which platform.

So for tourist is normally better to give the explanation for metro barajas-atocha renfe, rather than explain well the metro+cercanias option.

This may change in a near future when the line Chamartin-Barajas of cercanias opens, the works for this line are very advanced now.