Search

Banished!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banished!

I returned home from a trip last Monday to find I couldn't access this forum. For days I thought it was the forum but then tried in work and found it accessible.
It appears to be our home computer.
We can access everything else but not Fodors. Is there an anti-travel bug?
I have tried turning the firewall off but nothing doing.
We also noticed that we no longer get spam and discovered this morning by accessing our email account on-line that there are hundreds of spam messages we had never seen.
Can someone get me back on to Fodors? Please?
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 04:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you e-mailed [email protected]? You might try reposting in the Help forum with a more descriptive title.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 04:57 AM

Try using a different browser. For the longest time I had to use firefox rather than IE
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 05:10 AM
ira

>We also noticed that we no longer get spam and discovered this morning by accessing our email account on-line that there are hundreds of spam messages we had never seen.<

This is a problem?

If you can't get to www.fodors.com, check your firewall settings and any other settings that blocks access to certain sites.

If you can't post to a forum, try opening another account.

Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 05:18 AM

Do you by any chance have someone else at home who is using that computer, because it sure sounds like it, and that they have messed it up either deliberately or intentionally. I had a friend with strange problems who kept insisting she wasn't doing anything but when I pressed, it turned out her grandchildren were using her computer and doing things to it.

If not, your ISP has done it and changed your spam filter settings and who knows what else.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 06:12 AM

Christina,

Gee, that sounds like my 88 year old father. "Gosh, I don't know how all that stuff got on my computer", " Gosh, I don't know how all those things appeared on my tool bar", "This stupid phone will not work (kind of hard when not plugged in)", "Why doesn't my TV show anything, I know I haven't messed with any of the buttons on the remote control".

I bought him a pre-paid cell phone, just to use in an emergency, like if he is driving. Yep, it "doesn't work", because he used it to call up everyone he knew to tell them he had a cellphone and used up the minutes.

He bought a new laptop computer because his other one did not pick up his wireless signals anymore. Why? He turned off the onboard wireless card. But NOOOO, he didn't do that, he never touched that button.

He lives about an hour away from me, so every time he messes something up, I get to drive for 2 hours to spend 10 minutes fixing things.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 07:47 AM

When you say you can't access fodor's, what happens exactly? Like you can't view the site at all? Do you receive an error message?

Or could you see the site but not sign in?

Feel free to also email me at [email protected] if I can help.
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Still working on this. It is now thought to be our router. Until that is sorted I still only have access in work.
Thank you all for your help.
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

I'm back! No magic solution though. We went through checking out the router and it didn't seem to be that(despite what I wrote above).
On Friday we had trouble connecting up to the internet and so closed the computer down and started again. This time I was able to access Fodors!-but we are still not getting the spam. Can't be bad.
If it happens again I still won't know how to fix it.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 05:57 PM

You see you are not supposed to actually take a trip. You're just supposed to talk about it or other nonsense that has nothing to do with travel. That was your mistake--you went somewhere.

Welcome back in every respect.