Banchi Vecchi Trip Report

Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Banchi Vecchi Trip Report

We have just returned from a 5 day stay in Rome at the Relais Banchi Vecchi B&B. Overall, my stay was great and I would stay here again.
The good:
-location, location, location! Just over 5min to the Vatican and probably about 15ish min. to the Forum.
-Via de Banchi Vecchi and the close by Via Guilia, are very charming streets with little shops and cafes. Not too much traffic on these streets.
-the room was beautiful, looks exactly like the pictures. Cleaned daily, fresh linens- courtesy of Newton, the very friendly "housekeeper/greeter". The bathroom has a tub with one of those hand held shower heads, have seen those before in Italy, but still mananged to spray water all over the bathroom each time I dropped it.

- I would also reccommend staying in an odd number room, b/c they face the back. #1 is by the entrance off V. Pavone, #2, #3 on 2nd floor, #4(our room), #5 on 3rd, #6,#7 on 4th flr. Noise was only an issue for us on Fri and Sat night, when people were out late. It didn't keep me awake, but just an FYI.

The different:
- I noticed someone posted something about there being grafitti and not finding the door....not sure what they are talking about. This is the deal with finding the door. (they tell you the instuctions after confiriming your reservation). The Main entrance is on Via de Banchi Vecchi, but during the low season, they do not have that main door open. There is a note in Italian and in English that says "use entrance Via de Pavone, 33". Turn the corner on the right and about 3 doors down there is a black gate that is open. The B&B is the door on the right, with the intercom system. When we arrived the door was open and we walked right in. The "reception area" is to the left of the elevator and had a wreath on it. We knocked b/c the door was shut and Newton greeted us and took us up to our room. Milena, the owner, came about 1/2 hr. later to collect the money and give us our coupons for our breakfast. This was not served at the B&B except for on Sat and Sun, when Newton brought it to our room. The bar(at the corner of V. de Banchi Vecchi and Corso Emmanuel)was only a half a block away and they were very friendly. The coupon gets you a capuccino, croissant and a glass of juice.
-Newton is only there until 1:30pm(at least during our stay),and he spends most of that time cleaning the rooms. If I needed him, I usually just called out his name and he would come help with whatever I needed. There isn't anyone in the reception area after 1:30p, so, if you check in after that I think you have to call Milena to come to the B&B.
-this became a problem for us because Air France lost our bags for 2 days. We went out in the morning, but had to return by the time Newton left to wait for the bags. Also, after that time we had to go to a pay phone, as there are no phones in the rooms. I was able to use their phone during the day, but no incoming calls after that time.

So, this would not have been a problem (read- Big inconvenience) for us had AF not lost our luggage. I would stay there again when I return to Rome, as it really is a lovely place, small and quiet. Good for independent travelers.

Any other questions? Feel free to ask, or send me an email [email protected]
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:38 AM

My husband and I are headed to this bed and breakfast during our Italy honeymoon. We are especially excited about the price in comparison to our other choices!

Thanks for the information!

Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

principessa-
It truly is a wonderful place....enjoy your stay!
Jan 26th, 2004, 09:11 AM

mct -- thanks for the great report. I've passed it on to my sister (we leave in 2-1/2 weeks!) and she was thrilled.
Jan 30th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

also...their website is www.banchivecchi115.com