Reload this Page >

Balzono/Bozen sites?

Search

Balzono/Bozen sites?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 1998, 09:18 PM
Martin Hafer

Balzono/Bozen sites?

Will be traveling near Balzono in September on the way to Grossglockner and was wondering if it was worth a stop. Rick Steves' book mentions this region of Tirolian Italy, but every other guidebook ignores it. What is there to see?

Old Jun 13th, 1998, 01:32 AM
angelo

I haven't been there yet but will be in a couple of weeks.from what I hear it is beautiful,being in the dolomite mountains.we will be driving from zermatt ,so we will be coming from the west & going on to the cadore region east of Bolzano.I'll try to let you know after our return in mid july

Old Jun 13th, 1998, 11:59 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Martin, I know this area well and love it. <BR>Bolzano itself is not much now--has gotten modern-- <BR>but the area is worth time. Go into www.initaly.com <BR>and go to the regions and find the article on the <BR>wine road that runs south of Bolz. You can take <BR>that road from near Trento up to Bolzano, stopping <BR>in Caldaro, Appiano etc. Also, the drive east from <BR>Bolzano into Canazei and then up to Orteisi is <BR>spectacular---the best of the Dolomites. That then <BR>takes you back to the Autostrada and up to the <BR>Brenner Pass---a great day of real natural splendor <BR>Contact me if you want more detail. The north end <BR>of Lake Garda is also fabulous--stay in Riva.

Old Jun 13th, 1998, 04:34 PM
Richard Vicek

Good evening, Martin, don't miss Cortina d' Ampezzo. <BR>backtracking from Bolzano to Ora, route 48 is very senic to Cortina, if want better road, north to Bressone , route 49 to S. Candido and route 51 south to Cortina, leaving use route 51 to Vittoria Veneto, <BR>see a lot of the Dolomites.. Richard of Hickory Hills, IL.

Old Jun 14th, 1998, 09:59 PM
Martin Hafer

Thanks Richard, I will be passing by Cortina on our way to Lienz (to get to the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse) already. Do you have any suggestions as to what to do there other than ski?

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 03:05 PM
chris

An unusual and new museum in Bozen is the one dedicated to "Oetzi", who was a pre-historic hunter or something, anyway, they found the mummy a few years ago almost intact and still with clothing and tools, etc. (Interesting for you ???). Also keep in mind that the Italian name for Tyrol is "Alto Adige" - maybe you'll have better luck finding it in the books.

Old Jun 21st, 1998, 11:50 AM
kam

Bolzano has been a part of Italy for many, many years although some still persist in calling it by its German name (the other Italians don't like this at all!) It's a pretty little town in the Alto Adige with interesting food and Pino Grigio wine as well as grappa. There is another town north, Merano, which is pretty which the Adige River running through it. I've never been there in winter and have never been to Cortina but I can vouch for the fact that the train ride through the Brenner Pass is beautiful. Probably the good food and wine and the beautiful scenery are what everyone loves. <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 02:13 PM
John

Many years ago I stayed at a wonderful hotel not far from Bolzano, evidently still in business. It's called Schloss Korb, in the hills outside of Bolzano near Appiano (Eppan). The converted old castle has a nice veranda overlooking the vinyards, pool, tennis, silence. Four stars, I think. It's day-trip distance from Cortina and other areas of the Dolomites, also (if you like driving) even from Venice. A beautiful and interesting area.

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 04:22 PM
John

Noticed the mention of a new museum in Bozen/Bolzano <BR>dedicated to "Oetzi" the Alpine hunter. Will be passing through there next month and would like to visit the museum. Would appreciate information on <BR>directions to the museum and hours of operation. <BR> Thanks, John

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 04:21 AM
alberto ricca

I am italian, i live in Italy and i think Alto Adige is one of the best region in italy. <BR>I suggest you to visit Val Gardena ( Ortisei, Santa Cristina and Selva ) the best place in Alto Adige. Bye Alberto.