Balmoral Castle Cottages

May 5th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Anne

Balmoral Castle Cottages

Interesting article in this weekend's USA today about cottages on the grounds of Balmoral available to rent. Prices seemed quite reasonable and they are available only when the royal family is not in residence. Has anyone done this? Any info to share?

Thanks

May 5th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Sheila

I haven't done it but know quite a bit about it. What would you like to know?

May 5th, 2002, 04:58 PM
janis

There are about 6 or 7 self catering cottages on the Balmoral estate available to the public. One is very large - maybe sleeping 12. The others mostly have 3 bedrooms and are scattered between Braemar, Balmoral and Ballater. They are fairly expensive - but only a little high for Deeside. They are fully but simply furnished. Privately owned cottages in the same price ranges would be "posher".

May 6th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Anne

Would there be enough to do in the area to keep a group occupied? We range from early 20's to mid 50's. Not sure exactly how big a group we'd be yet (some Americans some Scots) as we are just in the planning stages.

I looked on the web at the cottages and agree with the "simply furnished" opinion. Do you have names of any of the "posher" places?

Thanks for your help!

May 6th, 2002, 06:13 AM
janis

Ballater / Royal Deeside is a great area to base for a week. Things within a reasonable drive for day trips include: Braemar and Balmoral Castles, the "Castle trail" area - Crathes, Craigeivar Fraser, etc, Stonehave harbor and Dunnottar castle, Huntly, and the Speyside whisky distilleries. Ig full day trip would be to Loch Ness to Urquhart Castle, then through Inverness to Culloden and Clava Cairns and then Fort George.

Plus just walking along the Dee, shopping in Aboyne, Ballater and Banchory, and golf - the course in Ballater is lovely with most holes along the river.

As for posher places - there are many available since the Dee is a major holiday area. Try Ecosse Unique (I don't have the URL with me but it should be easy to find). These are fairly upscale places all over Scotland. But the best thing is to just do a web search for "self catering Deeside" or "Holiday cottage Scotland" or similar. You will fined hundreds of cottage in all prices/categories.

Search this Thread