Ballenberg Open Air Museum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2010, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to stop at Ballenberg Open Air Museum on our trip from Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen. Are there lockers available to store luggage, or a place to check it in? We travel light but don't want to have to carry it while we're walking around Ballenberg.

Also, is the entry fee covered by the Swiss Pass, as most of the museums are?

Thanks!
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 02:01 PM

No, there are no lockers or storage areas. Ballenberg is really quite a vast area and we were there during a hot spell in May -uncomfortably warm. We ended up taking a horse drawn carriage part of the way through the park which was expensive. But we really enjoyed all the houses and the animals and the demonstrated crafts and cooking - a great afternoon.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 05:45 AM

oliverandharry,

Do they have cheese making or chocolate making demonstration at Balenberg?
How much time do you think is justified for Ballenberg?
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 06:07 AM

I was there thirteen years ago and didn't see demonstrations like that. They might have them though at certain times. I'm sure they have a website that could tell you. Regarding the time, I was there about six hours and felt I had rushed it, but I did it all on foot. And that was without stopping for a meal. It was a very worthwhile experience for me.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 06:25 AM

I assume you're taking the train. The stop for Ballenberg is Brienz, a little wood-carving town on Lake Brienz. A convenient bus stops outside the station to take you to Ballenberg. And there's luggage storage at the station open on weekdays only, it seems: http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/...htm?posid=2120

IIRC, I don't think the Open Air Museum admission was covered by the Swiss Pass. But the boat on Lake Brienz is; you could continue your journey by boat to Interlaken.

We spent several hours at the Museum. There are different demonstrations at different times on different days. Though I don't remember any chocolate-making. It's more the old-time farm-type activities.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 10:40 AM

When are you going there?
This year's theme is Folk dances and costumes and it is going to be kicked off on 8th May and there are various performances like Folk dances etc. on Sundays.
Have fun.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 09:26 AM

Here is a link to a detailed photo narrative of a day trip we made to Ballenberg Open Air Museum April 13, 2004. It was opening day for the museum.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...localeid=en_US
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 10:03 AM

I think that entry to Ballenberg is indeed covered by a Swiss Pass - but only on days of 100% covered travel -like on flexipasses - you would not get 50% off like on trains you use on days in between the 100% covered travel days and the boat and train and postal bus to Ballenberg are also covered. I amnot 100% sure Ballenberg is covered- i'd call Byron at BETS 800-441-2387 as he knows everything to do with Swiss Passes IME - that's who i would call and maybe will to see if what i have been saying often - about Ballenberg being covered like 400+ museums in Switzerland by a Swiss Pass on a100% covered travel day. And that makes the pass about $20 more a value -plus covering the boat, postal bus and train back to Interlaken, etc.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 10:22 AM

I don't remember what the demonstrations were, and were probably the farm crafts mentioned above. We were staying in Interlaken and drove there for the day. I can't recall if we had a full meal or just a snack, but I do remember there wasn't anyplace to buy water except at the entrance. My favorite picture is a close up of a lovely cow with her Ballenberg bell on her collar!
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 08:45 AM

From the official Ballenberg site about entry fees and the Swiss Museum Pass:

Adults: CHF 20.-

Children aged 6 to 16 years: CHF 10.-
Groups min. 10 children, per child: CHF 9.-

Prices for families (parents with their children from 6 to 16 years): CHF 45.-

The Swiss Museum Pass entitles one adult (Adult Pass) or one adult accompanied by a maximum of 5 children up to 16 years of age (Adult- Plus-Pass) to free admission.

Now since the Swiss Pass (rail, boat, etc) is also a Swiss Museum Pass - written right on the pass - i assume that showing a Swiss Pass will get one adult free entry as well as any kids up to 16 yrs old

Now since most folks will have Swiss Saverpasses - two or more names on one pass that gives a good discount over two individual passes - i would assume since it is a pass for two people each would get free entry - but this is not clear.

But Swiss Museum Pass is valid at Ballenberg, according to its official site.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! In the meantime, I sent an email to Ballenberg and they said the entrance is covered by the Swiss Pass (though I didn't think to ask about whether the Saver Pass would cover both of us), and that they do have some lockers at the entrances. We'll probably use the ones at the Brienz train station if they are available. Are there usually lots of them at the station? I can't wait to see the cows! They have such lovely eyes!
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 08:36 AM

Every train station in Switzerland i have been in always seems to have available lockers - or if not a manual left-luggage - have some one and 2-franc coins handy

If you go please tell me and us if both people on a Swiss Pass get free entry? Though it is one pass it is really two passes in terms of payment.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 10:42 AM

The Swiss Saverpass is covered the same as the Swiss Pass - used it last summer for our family of four. Everyone was free. And yes, during the peak months (summer) there are always some demonstrations going on - been there twice in the summer. I don't remember ever seeing chocolate but we did see cheese and various other farm-like demos - woodworking, leather, blacksmith, etc. One could easily spend all day at Ballenberg as it is very large and spread out but four or five hours would be enough to see the highlights. If it's hot outside (which it was for both of our visits), you begin to wear down by then anyway. The town of Brienz itself is very pleasant and worthy of a walk up and down the main thouroughfare with some little side streets with very quaint and well-decorated chalets. The town is known for wood-working and has lots of shops where you can see people at their craft and purchase as souvenirs (not cheap though).
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 11:35 AM

Brienz Rothorn Bahn AG: Family excursions at the Brienzer Rothorn
You will enjoy with your family the romance of steam, the wildlife and the nature of the Brienzer Rothorn and get to know HOPP the steam railway ghost!
http://www.brienz-rothorn-bahn.ch/en...xcursions.html

And from Brienz a vintage steam train laboriously climbs zigzagging to the summit of the Rotforn, a mountain behind Brienz - and of course up top super super views 360 degrees around. Kids would love this train - which is covered 50% by a Swiss Pass but kids under 16 are free, with the Family Pass that comes free with a Swiss Pass.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

ShutterbuBill - Thanks for posting your wonderful photos!
Drexilius - thanks for the info on the Swiss Saverpass.
And thanks to all!
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 01:15 AM

The chocolate factory is just outside the entrance gates at the Brienzwiler entrance (I think it's the eastern entrance) to the site. To be honest there's not an awful lot to see. if you are going into Interlaken and don't mind paying the Restaurant Schuh has a chocolate making experience. Last year they were charging 14chf, but that included a 10chf voucher for their chocolates in the shop. The experience is on their website www.restaurantschuh.ch I think that's right and it is in English
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:52 AM

Drexilus' experience says that Swiss Saverpasses will give all names on the pass free entry to Ballenberg (and 400+ Swiss museums) and that it is not just one adult per pass - as it would be if it were solo Swiss Passes with just one name on it.

thanks Drexilus for clearing that up with your experience.