Bairro Alto Hotel - Lisbon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few questions about this hotel...first, they are offering a deal called "Ginginha at Bairro Alto" which states "Minimum of 02 nights stay Daily Breakfast served in the Restaurant Typical Lisbon VIP (Ginginha) Upgrade upon availability." Any idea what this means? I googled Ginginha so I know what that is, but this rate is 70 Euros cheaper than their best internet rate, and I'm wondering why.
Also, I am considering this hotel or the Hotel Metropole, which I know Fodorites love. Any thoughts on one vs. the other?
Lastly, I would like to know how to pronounce Bairro...I think it is like By-row, is this correct?
Thanks so much!!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Your accent is perfect. Give a look at Hotel Borges
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Another appartment in the same area http://www.vrbo.com/77293
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Wow, that is a great apartment! I just forwarded the link to my husband and we will definitely consider it. We'll be staying in the area for 2 nights and then we have a reservation at the Lapa Palace for our last night in Lisbon.
Thanks also for the accent confirmation. I've got to get some language tapes to prepare for our trip. I have heard that my Spanish knowledge will help with reading but not pronounciation or understanding of speech.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:03 PM

That's a shame because the appartment is cheaper with 3 nights. Try to negotiate the same price for 2 nights.
There is another thread "things do do in and around Lisbon (part 3)" and 2 out of the regulars in that thread have reservations for that appartment (Sarasara and Namaka). Keep watching Fodors and I'm sure that sooner or later some reviews will appear.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I saw that it is a minimum of 3 nights but I emailed to see if they'd let us stay for only 2 nights. I'll let you know what they say -
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

FYI - Paulo allowed us to book only 2 nights. I hope to read some good reviews from namaka and others who will stay there shortly. We will not be there until August.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 09:27 AM

I wonder if Paulo realizes how many bookings he's getting are coming from this site? Let's see, there's me, Sarasara, Carolynf and possibly Sherry to name a few! Not bad.

And isn't he sooo accomadating? So far, I have been so impressed with his willingness to work with me and his quick responses to my millions of ?'s.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 10:35 AM

Namaka
I keep telling myself to book. And then I think just
wait a week or two more and I will get a report back.
Sherry
p,s. he should really be thankful to you as you found the listing in the first place.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Namaka, we have booked that apartment for eight nights, beginning 3 October. I found it before I read about it here. Paulo is very helpful and seems to be a nice man.

Sherry, there are some positive comments on his site; I'm sure it is going to be good. I would hate to see you lose out!

I am so excited to be visiting Lisbon for the first time!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:37 AM

I know, I know. The only disappointment that we have had in all of the apartments we have rented is the one time in Lisbon.
I guess that makes me gun shy.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Okay, being resient here with Lobo I think we'll have to take a visit and persuade him to take us out for dinner as a thankyou for his increased bookings ;-)

Matt
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:40 AM

Sherry, I too, would hate for you to lose out on this apt. if it turns out to be great. Why don't you just book it to ensure you get your dates, because if we don't end up liking it you can always cancel. At least you could still get your dates;maybe!

Just a thought! If not, I will let you know asap.

namaka
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Namaka.
I give in. I just sent an email to Paulo. I already have a Paypal account (I use it on Ebay) so that is the easy part.
I just cannot imagine what could be wrong with it.
Is the extra sleeping space a sofa sleeper? I notice there is a double bed in the bedroom. I know you are taking your children and would know.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Sherry, did you notice that a couple of the people who made comments posted their email addresses? Perhaps an email to them may ease your mind.

You will find that Paulo is very quick to answer any of your questions. I had several email conversations with him. I was impressed! I appreciate that someone will be there to meet us and to help with any problem we may have.

The "elegent" bedroom with double bed appears to be too small for us; we are used to a king sized bed. I plan to sleep on the sofa bed.

Matt, good idea!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 01:39 PM

actually, Paulo told me that both of the couches fold out to beds. Perfect for the kids, so I don't have to hear "she/he is touching me!" lol!

I sent an email to Italy in regards to my paris apt; There was a really bad review of an apt owned by the same people as my paris apt. I was a little freaked and went back online to find a really nice review. I emailed the lady in Italy and she emailed back that it was great. So, I'm not going to worry anymore.

Judi, I know what you mean about the size of the bed. I am only 5'1" and 105 lbs, whereas my husband is about 6'3" 200 lbs. We have a California King but will just make due with whatever we have. If not, I guess I can always squeeze in with one of the kids.lol!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

I agree, Paulo has been great. Now that all the hotel reservations have been made, it's on to the rental car and learning Portuguese! I am still looking for a recommendation on a language program. Most that I have seen are Brazilian Portuguese, not continental Portuguese. I want to make sure I am pronouncing street names, etc. properly!
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 09:38 AM

i have booked paulo's apt for a week in october. he has been very attentive. i am looking forward to hearing remarks from namaka.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:10 AM

Paulo may have to rename this the "Fodorite" apartment!

Sherry, have you booked yet?
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 12:55 PM

Ok, I know the suspense is killing everyone, so I will try to post on the apt. as soon as I can. I am sitting here in Paris; my very last night and will be off to Lisboa in the morning. Expect a post sometime tomorrow evening!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -