Bad Rental Experience in Amsterdam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been off the Forum for a few weeks while we were in Europe, and then we came down with colds; mine turning into pneumonia, so I'm late in starting my trip report. It will start soon, though. I thought I should post a short note about a really bad rental experience we had in Amsterdam first, as it may sound a warning, and even bring a smile or two.

After a delightful ten day stay in a splendid apartment on the Ile de la Cite which we got through VRBO, we took the train up to Belgium for a few days to meet our new granddaughter. We had decided to spend the last four days of our trip in Amsterdam, flying home from there, as my lady Wife had only been there a few times on overnight stays. I know the city pretty well, having lived there on a boat for a winter, once, so thought it a great opportunity to show her how nice the town is.

Thinking to save a few bucks, and since we have had very good experience with Airbnb, both as renters and in renting out our guest room for a couple of years with them, we booked a place on an artificial island (Java) just a short bus ride from Centraal Station. Place sounded great on the paper, and the price was affordable. The room was described as being a private room, but that we would have to share a bath. That was not ideal, but it sounded OK to us for four days. We confirmed the reservation for four nights through Airbnb and paid our money through PayPal. So far, so good.

We got to Centraal Station around eight in the evening, went to the office to buy our Chipcards, and hopped the bus for the ride to the island. We were met at the door by Robert, our host, who immediately informed us that we owed him €35 more a night for the room, because he had "made a mistake". We had the copy of our Airbnb receipt in hand, so we put off that discussion until we saw the room. He led us down a short flight of stairs from the hallway to a single dark room.

"Where is the door?", we asked. "Oh, you won't need a door, you are at the bottom of the steps", he replied. We could see that the steps led off a common hallway right next to the bathroom. Anyone using the bathroom, or going into the kitchen would have to turn on the hall light which would shine right through the open banister railings onto our bed, and we would hear all of the conversations and traffic in the hallway and kitchen. "Robert", we said, "a room without a door is NOT a PRIVATE room!" A private room should have a door that both closes and LOCKS.

Ignoring that, Robert explained that the dingy room could be brightened by opening the Venetian blinds that covered the two large windows on the far side of the room. When we did so, we could see there was a well traveled footpath right outside the windows. No privacy there. With the shades closed, there was only a single thin strip fluorescent light on one side of the bed and a floor lamp with what looked like a ten watt bulb on the other side. Instead of a shade, that lamp had a small pink plastic laundry basket turned upside down on top. Robert is an artist, and one huge canvas on it's stretcher leaned against the stairway beside the bed.

With the shades open, we could see that the room was absolutely filled with stuff. Every bookshelf was full, the tops of the book cases were crammed with bric-a-brac.. There was, literally, no flat surface to put anything down other than the floor. There was no dresser, and the only place to hang clothes was a pole under the stairs that was completely jammed with clothing. Not a single free hanger, or even a place to force one in. It was obvious we would have to live out of our suitcases on the floor. When we asked him if he could move some of the stuff out, he said, "Well, this is MY room!"
Evidently the "regular" rental rooms were booked, so we were in his own dungeon.

No, Robert, it is OUR room. We rented it.

We told him that we doubted we could stay in the space with no privacy, no security, and no place to put our gear. His response was he could show us another room, but it was already rented, and he doubted the other couple would be willing to switch with us. Since we had not seen the other rooms, and/or other guests, my wife asked him how many people would be using the single bathroom. "Seven", he replied, "and of course me and my partner."

Nine people using one bathroom was the final straw. We told him we were leaving. He replied that he had our money, and that his cancellation policy did not allow refunds. We responded that he did not have our money yet, as we had 24 hours to tell Airbnb the room was not private, as advertised, and that he had tried to extort more money from us. We pulled out our computer and fired off a note to Airbnb right then.

We left, to his, "Best of luck trying to find a room on a Friday night."

He was right, as we were in a bit of a pickle. There we were, an eighty year old, and an approaching seventy year old, after nine o'clock, dragging suitcases down the street, looking for a place to lay our heads for the night. We caught the bus back to Centraal Station to ask the Tourist Office for help in finding a place; only to find it had closed.

Poop!

We tried a couple of hotels across from the Station, but they were full. We started walking up Damrak, the wheels of our roll-aboards sounding a lot like tumbrels, when we saw a sign saying, "Last Minute Reservations". "Hot Damn!" (The sign didn't say that, I did.) When we asked for a 2* or 3* room for the night, the nice chap behind the counter told us that the whole town was fully booked for the weekend, except for 4* and 5* places. There was one modern 4* hotel about a 35 minute tram ride out of town that cost a bit less, but that was it.

Poop, again.

When he saw we were not going to go for that he, rather reluctantly, said he did know of one, two star, place that might have a room. "Does it have doors on the rooms?", we asked. "Well, sure.", he said in a puzzled tone. He made a call, and we were in luck.

We didn't know it then, but we were really in luck. The Hotel Nadia http://www.nadia.nl/ turned out to be a gem. Typical old style canal house stairs, i.e., you ring a bell at street level, the door buzzes, and you look up an apparently endless flight of stairs that looks more like a ladder than a staircase. But there is a fellow there to carry your bags to the desk on the second level, the staff is friendly, the rooms have doors, there is an excellent breakfast served in a room overlooking the Keizergracht and the Westerkerk. The Anne Frank House is just across the bridge and around the corner.

And did I mention they have doors on the rooms?

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, the rest of the play was delightful. We had a great time in Amsterdam.

The lesson here is to really ask questions when booking rooms through any of the online services such as VRBO, Craigslist, or Airbnb. All of the reviews on the site were glowing. The pictures looked swell. Even sharing a bath would be bearable. We should have asked what "private" meant, and if an army would be sharing our bathroom.

I have been unwavering in my support for Airbnb. We have rented through them with great success before. We have rented out our guest room through them for a couple of years now, with absolutely no negative experiences. This incident does not change my mind -- I will just be a bit more cautious and diligent in future.

But then again, who would think a private room would not have a door?
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 01:36 PM

This does not surprise me at all. The 1st time I was there was 1964 and it was my Euro introduction to relentless dishonesty, resolute stubborness (I have your money!!), and the need to only trust **** and ***** hotels.
The 2nd most dishonest city w/regard to hotels was Dubrovnik under the nasty old Tito days. The (mandatory) central rental office would charge the rate for a *** 0r **** and send their victim to a * - at best - dump. A loud fight was always required. I hope all that has changed by now, but I don't go back to find out. Same with A-dam. Except for business, I stay away.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 01:40 PM

Geesh, this was very bad.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 01:40 PM

That's really funny, nukesafe...though I'm sure it wasn't at the time!
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 01:41 PM

NukeSafe, I hope both you and your wife are over the colds now. Starting to read about Amsterdam, please continue, this is on my list, hopefully for next year.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Well Nukesafe - you certainly have a good sense of humor about this! Glad things worked out for you.

(I dare you to post this on the famous [infamous??] AirBnB thread )
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM

Well did you get your money back? - I certainly hope so! Sounds like your original host was a real jerk.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 02:14 PM

Wow, what a terrible place person experience.

When something like that happens I always opt for the out and to try to find something else. Whenever I have said "it'll be ok for one night" it wasn't!!! Lesson learned, there is always someplace else to stay .

Glad the new place was a gem!
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Janisj,

Why the "dare"? If the thread you are referring to is the one I started in October of '09 when I first heard of Airbnb and asked if it was legitimate --- sure, I'll copy this experience to that thread. Why not?

For those who think I took all of this with high humor at the time; satellite photos of Amsterdam taken at the time might well show blue steam drifting over the river Ij from a combination of my language and superheated gases exiting my ears.

Actually, however, we both saw the humor in it right away. It was all I could do to hold in my mirth as Robert spluttered and flailed his arms at us.

As for rebounding, DW and I have been around for a bit, and we haven't reached our advanced years without being involved in our share of travel snafus and hard knocks. In fact, one reason I married the gal was that our first vacation together while courting was to Mexico. We traveled "my way", which at the time was local transport with the chickens and pigs, no reservations, and (really)cheapo hotels. Broken down buses, mosquitoes, indifferent food at times; all came our way.

In that entire two weeks we didn't have one single fight. Not one! "This one is a keeper!", I decided.

Anyway, the money situation still is not completely taken care of, but Airbnb is working with us to rectify the situation. Seems there was a bobble in the complaint assessment process, and dear Robert got his money. Airbnb has refunded our fees, and given is a sizable voucher to use when next we rent through them again. I'm asking that Robert has to give all the money back, and I get to insert a negative review on his listing.

But then I'm a crotchety old bastard.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 04:19 PM
cw

Thanks for posting about this so if anyone is thinking of staying with "dear Robert" and do a google search, they'll find the thread. I'm glad it worked O.K. for you that night, and many of us can learn from your experience in refusing to stay, and in holding firm at the hotel booking place (or whatever its proper name is) to find a suitable place to stay.

I really enjoyed our three days in Amsterdam and look forward to reading your report.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 04:38 PM

Nukesafe: Good on you! and I must say, I am delighted to hear that one of you "is 80" because that is the situation with DH and self, and it gives me great courage to keep on traveling! We'll be in France for about 3 weeks in Sept.Oct., and DH has signed us up for a South Africa trip next winter. Yikes!
I must say, I could never even try to stay in situations that you and your lady wife have done. I guess I'm a real coward, but find I need more comfort as I get older.
I guess you know you are lucky to have a wife such as you have!!
I can only laugh MUCH later when things go awry!
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 04:58 PM

I think the lesson - when using any of the private rental services - is to ask every question yo can think of - no mater how silly - and be sure to get the answer in writing. (This is esp useful inn the US - since mail fraud - providing incorrect information through the mail when selling something - is a serious federal crime.)
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 06:24 PM

nukesafe - I am sorry for what happened to you but I admire your attitude and spirit.

I am currently considering a couple of apt rentals (not airbnb) so this is a good refresher course.

Well done, nukesafe and more power to you and Mrs. nukesafe.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 09:23 AM

thanks nukesafe for your story.
like others have said i'm sure you can look back and laugh about it now - but at the time it must have been frustrating for sure!
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 09:30 AM

"But then I'm a crotchety old bastard."

Thank you for being one
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

"Oh, shut up!" (Says he, staying in character.)

Old Jun 12th, 2011, 10:50 AM

nukesafe, thanks for the report.

I loved how you and Mrs. Nuke took it all in stride, although I can imagine you were exhausted and frustrated.

Posting the highs and lows makes us all better consumers for the future!
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 12:20 PM

Crotchety gets a bad reputation as an adjective. It is quite empowering.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 12:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
nukesafe - good for you. the closest we ever got to this was in Iceland when we decamped from our "holiday chalet" after just one night of the three we'd booked after a sleepless night disturbed by a succession of campers wanting to use our private showers [similar to your "private " room] and the renter trying to convert us to his brand of christianity with bible readings!

humour got us through that too.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 02:45 PM

humor and willingness to persist, such important qualities.
I have had both good and bad hotel experiences in ** hotels in Amsterdam, btw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -