Bad Polidor experiences?

Jan 11th, 2005, 07:02 PM
amelia

Bad Polidor experiences?

OK: We're leaving on a jet plane on Thursday. I have compiled a list of restaurants in the Odean area of the 6th and the rest of the 5th that could choke a horse.

I want to do Polidor (for some odd reason) but my sister has emailed me two bad experiences.

I'm laying it on the line--Fodors will tell all.

Jan 11th, 2005, 07:18 PM

If you put it in the search engine you'll find positive reviews.
Jan 11th, 2005, 07:30 PM

We had a good time in the Polidor, but I hasten to add that was in 1986. We live on the east side of Paris and haven't tried it since. For years there was a restuarant on Rue Jean Pierre Timbaud in the 11th arrondissement, called Le Trou Normande, run by two ladies who eventually passed a certain age. The food was nothing special, but the ambiance was great, and the place was something of an institution. Once we were dining there when a lady whom the proprietors obviously knew stopped by with her dog. They were chatting, and one of the owners said, "Stay for lunch." "No, the lady said, I just stopped by the butcher's and got some meat for my dog, and I want to get home to feed him." "No problem!" said the owner, and she took the dog's lunch to the kitchen and cooked it. The dog ate, the dog owner ate, and everyone was happy. Recently, the restaurant was sold. The new owners kept the name but changed everything else. I expect that the people who knew it in its former incarnation are greatly disappointed and people who come by guide book are greatly confused. Still, I think, the 11th arrondissement has more of these small, quirky, shabby places with tremendous personality (and sometimes good food!) than anywhere else in Paris.
Jan 11th, 2005, 07:33 PM
machin

That's a great story. We liked Polidor but it was so long ago that my hair has turned grey.

Jan 11th, 2005, 07:53 PM

We ate there for the first time this summer, going for lunch. The food was OK, nothing outstanding. We were jammed in like sardines. The service was poor. My partner felt claustrophobic in the crowd. The only thing I can say particularly favorable was that it was cheap.
Jan 11th, 2005, 08:12 PM

I would not dine there as it's a very old building and I've read that it has a turkish toilet!
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:58 PM

What Patrick said.
Jan 12th, 2005, 03:48 AM
amelia

cigalechanta--Believe me, I used the search engine. They're in my "choke a horse" package. My sister found her reviews (quite recent, by the way) on two other forums.

Jan 12th, 2005, 05:11 AM

Regarding the views. Have you read them to see if the overwhelming majority of them didn't mention "very low prices"? If cheap and authentic is what you're looking for, then yes it is a good bet. But if you're looking for a pleasant and tasty dining experience, I'd think again. When someone says, "for the price it was good" what that means to me is "I sure wouldn't have wanted to pay any more than that to eat in that place."
Jan 12th, 2005, 05:59 AM

We were there three years ago. It's perfectly fine in a you-get-what-you-pay for sort of way. The atmosphere is hectic and convivial. I had something very simple. Poulet roti, I believe. My husband ordered a fish dish and I remember that he actually liked it a lot.

I do remember taking the stairs to get to the restroom, but I don't remember a Turkish toilet (which is the kind of thing I usually do remember).
Jan 12th, 2005, 06:57 AM

When I was there with my friend five years ago, she headed for the ladies' room and came back VERY quickly, saying "No way". So there was still a Turkish toilet at that time. Elle, how much wine had you had?
Jan 12th, 2005, 07:18 AM

"elle, how much wine had you had? " LOL, if it were Scarlett, the amount of wine would have encouraged me to try it and then I would undoubtably remember the experience..not being steady on ones feet is essential when using a Turkish toilet
Jan 12th, 2005, 07:20 AM

sooo----that should have been Being steady on ones feet is essential!
Jan 12th, 2005, 07:48 AM
amelia

One of the reviews said that there is one Turkish toilet and one regular. Of course, this proves the point that each person has different experiences!

Jan 12th, 2005, 08:08 AM
amelia

Anyway, I'm thinkin' this place won't make my sis happy, even if I could steer her to the correct toilet.

Interestingly enough, Zagats makes no mention of the toilet at Polidar, but does talk about the Turkish toilet at Perraudin. I'm looking through all my reviews of that restaurant and don't see the TT mentioned for Perraudin anywhere.

Jan 12th, 2005, 08:39 AM

PS: Your sister could dine somewhere else that night.
Jan 12th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Not that I'm encouraging a trip to Polidor, but are most of you so bladder impaired that if you know a place has an inferior toilet, you could't manage to "go" before you arrive at the restaurant and make it through an hour or so meal without having to use the toilet?
Jan 12th, 2005, 09:05 AM

(repeating, since there appear to be glitches with this sting)

Exactly Amemlia! One person's terrible encounter with a Turkish toilet can be another person's memorable travel experience. And there are different reasons for dining out, and different budgets. I sensed from you orginial post that your were seeking ambiance, or better yet, authenticity. Bravo! And if you are discouraged about the Polidor, I suggest you try the Ravigote, a quirky little 14-table restaurant at 41 rue de Montreuil in the 11th arrondissement, with a very kind chef, Pierre, and very kind prices. The menu runs to "parts" (tete de veau is the specialty) but we always find something less daring to eat, and we always leave happy. Isn't that enough?

PS: Your sister could dine elsewhere that night.
Jan 12th, 2005, 11:59 AM
amelia

You know, Dave and Patrick, you two are minder readers. I truly was thinking that since I have never met a Turkish toilet, this might be a good opportunity AND I was thinking, "Gee, weren't we all trained by Dad to go before we get in the car?"

The one bad review sent me intrigued me more--the waitress blamed the diner for the waitress' dropping their dish and the dessert, a chocolate mousse, was served with a scoop missing.

Some good reviews have said the service was "surly," so now I'm wondering just how surly.

But now I have the additional burden of wondering if there truly is a Turkish toilet at Perraudin since I can't find any other mention of their plumbing. I wonder if Zagat editors may have confused Polidor with Perraudin.

This quest shall add new purpose to the trip.

Jan 12th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Amelia,

It may not matter all that much, but our experience is that surly waiters are surly with everyone, the French included -- the only downside being that if your French is not up to speed, you can't be surly back. Also, I ask all the readers of this string to imagine how congenial they could be in six languages while rushing and while their feet hurt!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO