Bad ears pain when flying

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 10:34 AM
celine

Bad ears pain when flying

I have bad ears pain when flying any tips? <BR>Thanks

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 10:49 AM
s.fowler

First I'd see a doctor. <BR> <BR>I have bad sinus and I've had some miserable flights. My ears always go out and, depending on the flight and my condition it can take 10 minutes to two days for them to "pop" back in. What *I* do [this is NOT a prescription -- I'm a Ph.D., not an M.D.] is take one sudafed about 20 minutes before boarding. Then I suck on a cough drop or something at takeoff and until we reach altitude. I also yawn etc.. to try to keep my ears clear. On a long flight I may take a second sudafed again 20 minutes before we begin the descent. On the descent I also suck on a cough drop and yawn. Swallowing also helps. <BR> <BR>I've discovered that some airplanes are better than others -- a pilot once explained it to me. The old planes that have hydralic pressurization such as 727s and 737s pressurize less subtly. The newer planes have electronic pressurization which is more gradual. I tend to do better on McDonnell Douglas planes in general although my last "ride" on the Boeing 777 was pretty good also -- no pain and my ears cleared in 10 minutes. <BR> <BR>Again this is how *I* handle this problem. Ear pain isn't minor -- so talk with a doctor -- I know some people who have been told not to fly because of the potential damage to their hearing.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Thyra

My husband has terrible ears.. both of his eardrums were popped out (highschool sports and bad genes) and when he had surgery to fix one of them, they botched it and left him deaf in one ear. So he never had the other ear fixed and he has no eardrum... (no swimming for him) he has terrible terrible pain in the deaf ear when flying, this last trip to NYC it was so bad, he was close to passing out. We ended up going to a Rand McNally travel store and buying some of these special ear plugs that were supposed to be worn by fighter pilots, they are hollowed out on the inside and have little "stoppers" in them that adjust tot he changes in cabin pressure.. my husband tried it and experienced a noticable lessoning in ear pain... he plans to use them from now on. <BR>But as S. Fowler says, see a doctor first!

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 01:21 PM
janis

The above posts are good info. I use "Earplanes" - special pressure equalizing ear plugs that you can now find in any travel store. They do work - not perfect but pretty good. <BR> <BR>The other thing I always do is chew gum during ascent and descent. Real exaggerated gum chewing really helps a lot. <BR>

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 02:01 PM
Michele

Hi Celine! <BR>My doctor told me to take Sudafed 30 mins before the flight takes off and again before landing. He also told me to take a nasal spray as this sometimes help clearing the passages. A smart flight attendant (a VERY long time ago!) once gave my sister, who suffers from severe sinus pain, a "hot cup". She had put a washcloth that had been soaked in hot water in a cup and told her to put it up to her ear. Worked instantly and she has used this hot cup ever since!

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 02:04 PM
kam

If you hold your nose, close your mouth and exhale--GENTLY--while puffing out your cheeks, you can usually cause your ears to clear. I had a terrible reaction to Sudafed once so be sure to check with your doctor for the first step.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 05:45 PM
dana

i suffer from horrible sinus problems and this is what works for me. i did check with a doctor. i take sudafed 30 minutes before takeoff, along with a nasel spray,afrin no drip works great, i also use the earplane ear plugs. there are some 12 hour prescription decongestions that contain sudafed, which i use. so far my last 7 flights have been pain free.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 05:57 PM
JOdy

Whatever you do if you have elevated (high )blood pressure do NOT use sudafed without the advice of your doctor. I too have ear problems, have had them for over 60 years, no ear drum in left ear, exposed facial nerve, etc. And some times on descending I have had pain that has actually knocked me out of my seat! Gum chewing, holding nose all help, but I also always carry an old fasioned vicks inhaler that I start sniffing about 20 minutes before landing. Then I do the chewing ,swallowing, holding nose thing and all together it usually works, looks kind of weird but I really don't care.